From: Dave the Clueless on
We have a DSL line for our SBS 2008 that runs about 720k up and 3M
down. With multiple remote users, the access is quite slow. Is it
possible to get a second DSL line and dedicate it solely to remote
access?
From: James Hurrell on
On 01/07/2010 15:56, Dave the Clueless wrote:
> We have a DSL line for our SBS 2008 that runs about 720k up and 3M
> down. With multiple remote users, the access is quite slow. Is it
> possible to get a second DSL line and dedicate it solely to remote
> access?

You'd need a dual-WAN router at the edge to handle both incoming lines.
Then you'd have to route traffic through each line as appropriate. Then
map say remote.yourdomain.com to the IP address of the second DSL line
and forward the traffic to SBS as necessary. But possible yes.
From: Leythos on
In article <f5bd31a8-bb61-44c4-9efb-
476f032f764f(a)r27g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>, dave(a)atrbiotech.com says...

> We have a DSL line for our SBS 2008 that runs about 720k up and 3M
> down. With multiple remote users, the access is quite slow. Is it
> possible to get a second DSL line and dedicate it solely to remote
> access?

DSL is not a good solution for Business, unless you can get SDSL, I
would suggest that you consider a T1 or a combination of a T1 and phone
systems where the T1 also handles your phones - making the cost for the
T1 (Data and Phones) about $250/month.

Trust yourself.
From: Jim on
On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 16:36:15 -0400, Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com>
wrote:

>In article <f5bd31a8-bb61-44c4-9efb-
>476f032f764f(a)r27g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>, dave(a)atrbiotech.com says...
>>
>> We have a DSL line for our SBS 2008 that runs about 720k up and 3M
>> down. With multiple remote users, the access is quite slow. Is it
>> possible to get a second DSL line and dedicate it solely to remote
>> access?
>
>DSL is not a good solution for Business, unless you can get SDSL, I
>would suggest that you consider a T1 or a combination of a T1 and phone
>systems where the T1 also handles your phones - making the cost for the
>T1 (Data and Phones) about $250/month.

That's a very geographic answer Leythos! We operate two sites near
Perth, central Scotland. Prices for a T1 line (or the UK equivalent)
run to around �900 per month ($1800).DSL costs us �30/month. SDSL
isn't an option in the vast majority of the UK.

So your answer is probably correct, but is heavily dependent upon
facilities in the area.

Jim
From: James Hurrell on
On 01/07/2010 22:37, Jim wrote:

> That's a very geographic answer Leythos! We operate two sites near
> Perth, central Scotland. Prices for a T1 line (or the UK equivalent)
> run to around �900 per month ($1800).DSL costs us �30/month. SDSL
> isn't an option in the vast majority of the UK.
>
> So your answer is probably correct, but is heavily dependent upon
> facilities in the area.
>

> Jim

Jim, sounds like you have a long line - one of my SBS clients in
Bedfordshire has a similar problem - their ADSL line is even worse than
yours - 384K up and around 1M down... No SDSL or ADSL2+ at their
exchange - not that either would have helped with the length of line
they have - and cable not in the area. We also looked into a leased line
(around 2M/2M) but costs were highly prohibitive as there is no fibre to
the premises for a start.

You might be able to squeeze a bit more out of the line with a BT2Wire
ADSL router as they are known for behaving well with long lines - have a
look on eBay - they retail for about �10-�20 used. I have been able to
squeeze a couple of hundred K more out of the line with one of these. My
clients don't use RWW (well I do to administer SBS) but everything else
works OK even at this horrible speed... They complain about browsing
speed, but there is really not much that can be done. I use a Vigor2910
with a BT2Wire router (in bridge mode so it acts as a simple modem) at
the edge in this client and the Vigor has dual WAN ports so it can be
configured to accept in another connection and work in Load balance mode
(which we have also considered but not yet implemented). Have a look here:

http://web.draytek.com/user/SupportAppnotesDetail.php?ID=9