From: Dustin on
Generally, problems encountered with XP clients versus 2008 servers are caused by SMB2. A workaround for this problem is to turn SMB2 off on the server.

1.Run "regedit" on Windows Server 2008 based computer.

2.Expand and locate the sub tree as follows.

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

3.Add a new REG_DWORD key with the name of "Smb2" (without quotation mark)

Value name: Smb2
Value type: REG_DWORD
0 = disabled
1 = enabled

4.Set the value to 0 to disable SMB 2.0, or set it to 1 to re-enable SMB 2.0.

5.Reboot the server.

Full link here:
http://www.petri.co.il/how-to-disable-smb-2-on-windows-vista-or-server-2008.htm

OneginNH wrote:

SBS 2008 Slow Network Performance with Windows XP Clients
04-Feb-10

Two months ago I completed an uneventful install of SBS 2008 for a company of
about 25 users on brand-new hardware. The only significance issues since the
install have been performance-related, specifically that browsing shared
folders on the server is very slow (displaying the contents of folders, for
example). Opening large documents and media files is also very slow, and at
least one server-based Visual Foxpro program which ran very fast under the
old Server 2003 server slows to a crawl with the new server. However, all
these woes disappear if the client is Windows 7 - the speed difference is
night and day! Is there something that can be done to tweak Windows XP to
perform better with SBS 2008? The client does not have the budget to
undertake a migration to Windows 7 at this time.

On Thursday, February 04, 2010 8:16 AM
OneginNH wrote:

SBS 2008 Slow Network Performance with Windows XP Clients
Two months ago I completed an uneventful install of SBS 2008 for a company of
about 25 users on brand-new hardware. The only significance issues since the
install have been performance-related, specifically that browsing shared
folders on the server is very slow (displaying the contents of folders, for
example). Opening large documents and media files is also very slow, and at
least one server-based Visual Foxpro program which ran very fast under the
old Server 2003 server slows to a crawl with the new server. However, all
these woes disappear if the client is Windows 7 - the speed difference is
night and day! Is there something that can be done to tweak Windows XP to
perform better with SBS 2008? The client does not have the budget to
undertake a migration to Windows 7 at this time.

On Thursday, February 04, 2010 12:14 PM
Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] wrote:

Should not be such (any) differences. Something else is going on.
Should not be such (any) differences. Something else is going on. Is the
SBS the DHCP server for the LAN? Were all the computers joined to the domain
with the wizards.? Are all updates current? Do all devices use the same
switch?

Please post the results of the command:

ipconfig /all > c:\iptest.txt

from the server, and one each XP and 7 stations.

Please do not change anything, and please tell us which is which.

-
Larry
Please post the resolution to your
issue so others may benefit
-
Get Your SBS Health Check at
www.sbsbpa.com

On Thursday, February 04, 2010 1:44 PM
OneginNH wrote:

Hi Larry, thanks for your response.
Hi Larry, thanks for your response. I apologize in advance for the length of
this reply.

To answer your questions:

Yes, the SBS server is the DHCP server for the LAN

Yes, all the computers were joined to the network with the SBS wizard (as a
side note, it came as a big surprise that I had to install .NET on all the XP
workstations in order to use the wizard. The .NET version install was
version 3, then it was patched to the latest 3.5 -- latest as of late
November 2009 anyway. The process was incredibly time-consuming but yes, it
was done for every XP machine and the wizard was used in all cases).

Yes, I am fanatical about Windows updates on all machines.

No, not all devices use the same switch. There are four switches and there
is no correlation between which switch the user is tied to.

Below are the ipconfig results for the server (first) and an XP workstation
(second). Unfortunately I do not have a Windows 7 machine on the network and
I am not able to give you the ipconfig for that box. I do, however, have
that box here in my office and although I would not be able to connect to the
network we are talking about, I could certainly post the ipconfig for however
it comes up when not attached to the network - if you think that would be
helpful).

BTW I realize that having the second ethernet connection on the server
(listed first in the ipconfig.txt) enabled is not recommended, and in fact I
will be disabling it in the near future. It was only enabled as an
experiment in light of this network slowness problem. I can assure you that
the speed issue existed before that NIC was enabled, whcih was only recently.

One other note, early on I contacted Intel about this becuase of a hotfix
that Microsoft has concerning a problem with the I/O Acceleration technology
in some of their network adapters. They seemed to know nothing about it (and
this was the file server group at Intel) and pointed me back to Microsoft. I
never installed the hotfix in question becuase it did not specifically match
the set up the customer has nor the exact circumstances, although it does
sound very close. The issue is discussed on kb 968991. But perhaps this is
the area I need to revisit. I just got cold feet when Intel did not even know
about something that seemed to me like it would be such a big issue out there
in the world.

Thank you again for your help.

Server ipconfig:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : RIVERSERV
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : rivernet.local
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : rivernet.local

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : rivernet.local
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 EB Network
Connection with I/O Acceleration #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-17-89-B6-31
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . :
fe80::417f:5349:45e0:36ff%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.14(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, February 01, 2010 1:56:47 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, February 09, 2010 1:57:03 PM
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 EB Network
Connection with I/O Acceleration
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-17-89-B6-30
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . :
fe80::597a:87bb:43e9:5b20%10(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . :
fe80::69f1:45cd:1c59:bf30%10(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.10(Preferred)
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::69f1:45cd:1c59:bf30%10
192.168.1.10
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 8:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . :

On Thursday, February 04, 2010 5:49 PM
Al Williams wrote:

I'd verify that none of advanced networking stuff (TCP Chimney Offload,etc.
I'd verify that none of advanced networking stuff (TCP Chimney Offload,
etc.) is enabled on the server first, it tends to cause issues with older
PC's. Have you run the SBS BPA? Anything in the logs of the server or
clients?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951037

--
Allan Williams

OneginNH wrote:

On Friday, February 05, 2010 9:01 AM
OneginNH wrote:

Hi Al and thank you for your response.
Hi Al and thank you for your response. To answer your questions:

1) In regard to "advanced networking stuff" I am not sure where/how to find
that kind of thing. I guess I can poke around. In calling Intel about this
I woudl have thought they could/woudl point me in this direction (if needed)
since both the server NIC and the workstation NICs are Intel (actually that is
not strictly true, one of the worst performers under Windows XP has a Realtek
NIC). But, yes, what you are suggesting has been on my mind ever since I ran
across that KB 968991 article that I mention elsewhere in this (rather long)
posting - problem with that 968991 article is that it does not strictly apply
to my circumstances. But it talks about Intel Advanced I/O stuff which is
what you are pointing me to. Why Intel would not have known about such an
issue is a mystery to me and for these various reasons I have therefore held
off on applying the 968991 hotfix - do you think I shoudl do it?

2) In regard to the SBS BPA I am a bit embarrassed to say that I had not run
it. Why? Because with the BPA for the Exchange piece built right in to the
O/S, I guess I assumed that the BPA tool for SBS would be built right into
the SBS console alongside all the other error checking that tool constantly
does. Anyway once I saw your note I immediately downloaded the SBS 2008 BPA.
Right off the bat I did show the only critical error (expected), which was
that the DNS A resource record was pointing to both NIC's on the server. As
mentioned elsehwere in this mammoth post, the second serve NIC got turned on
recently only as an experiemnt and it did not change things at all. Anyway
this mornign I shut off that second NIC again and ran BPA again and the
critical error is gone for DNS. There are no critical errors. The remaining
non-critical issues are, of course, of concern but I have no idea where to
focus/get started -- I need to solve the slow network problem before I do any
of the more refined fine-tuning stuff - as I am sure you can appreciate. But
perhaps the key to my performance issus is in these issues, and I have posted
them below (below my next and last answer to your questions) -- if there is
any feedback you can provide I would most appreciate it.

3) You ask about logs on the server and the workstations. Yes I have
checked and not seen anything obvious but I agree, I need to do some careful
analysis there, which I will proceed to do. If you have any suggestions as
to what to focus on in the logs that would be appreciated.

Thank you and here are the issues shown by BPA at this time:

All Issues

Exchange Server 2007 with Service Pack 1 :
The server RIVERSERV is running Exchange Server 2007 with Service Pack 1;
however, Service Pack 2 for Exchange Server 2007 is available. For more
information, see "You cannot install Exchange Server 2007 Service Pack 2 on a
Windows Small Business Server 2008-based computer" in the Microsoft Knowledge
Base at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=163940.

Add-On Congestion Control Provider :
Add-On Congestion Control Provider is set to ctcp. To disable Add-On
Congestion Control Provider, click Start, and in the Search box type
"command." in the results, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as
administrator. At the command prompt, run the following command: netsh int
tcp set global congestion=none

Firewall is disabled :
The Firewall has been disabled and by default is enabled on Windows Small
Business Server

IE Enhanced Security disabled :
IE Enhanced Security is currently disabled for Administrators. To enable IE
Enhanced Security go to Start/Server Manager and click on the Configure IE
ESC link on the right.

Local activation permission to the IIS WAMREG Admin Service required :
The Network Service is missing local activation permissions to the IIS
WAMREG admin Service in accordance with the event ID 10016 in the system
event log. For more information, see KB "Event ID error messages 10016 and
10017 are logged in the System log after you install Windows SharePoint
Services 3.0" at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=128063. Note: This
warning will continue to appear until at least 24 hours have passed since the
most recent occurrence of event 10016.

Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level :
Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level is set to normal. To disable Receive
Window Auto-Tuning Level, click Start, and in the Search box type "command."
in the results, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as
administrator. At the command prompt, run the following command: netsh int
tcp set global autotuning=disabled

Receive-Side Scaling State :
Receive-Side Scaling State is set to enabled. To disable Receive-Side
Scaling, click Start, and in the Search box type "command." in the results,
right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. At the
command prompt, run the following command: netsh int tcp set global
rss=disabled

remote.riverwebnh.com does not exist in the BackConnectionHostNames registry
key :
The BackConnectionHostNames key should include the value

On Friday, February 05, 2010 9:21 AM
OneginNH wrote:

To ask an obvious question, could my issue be as simple as not having IP6
To ask an obvious question, could my issue be as simple as not having IP6 on
the XP workstations? Could that be why Windows 7 has no problems and XP
does?

"OneginNH" wrote:

On Friday, February 05, 2010 12:13 PM
Al Williams wrote:

The BPA pointed to several "advanced" networking settings that were enabledand
The BPA pointed to several "advanced" networking settings that were enabled
and should be disabled:
Add-On Congestion Control Provider
Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level
Receive-Side Scaling State
Task Offload

Fix those first using the instructions given and see if it helps. Also look
into the other settings (Firewall is disabled?).

--
Allan Williams

OneginNH wrote:

On Friday, February 05, 2010 12:13 PM
Al Williams wrote:

No, I do not think so.
No, I do not think so. BTW - Do not disable IP6 on SBS, that *will* cause
issues.

--
Allan Williams

OneginNH wrote:

On Monday, February 08, 2010 1:28 PM
OneginNH wrote:

Hi - I made those four changes to the "advanced" settings and there was
Hi - I made those four changes to the "advanced" settings and there was no
difference in the performance. Do you have any other suggestions at this
time? If not then I guess my next steps need to be to install the various
service packs mentioned inthe BPA, including SP2 for Sharepoint 3.0 and SP2
for Server 2008.

"Al Williams" wrote:

On Monday, February 08, 2010 1:40 PM
Al Williams wrote:

Look into the device manager at the advanced properties of your SBS's NICand
Look into the device manager at the advanced properties of your SBS's NIC
and ensure none of the advanced offloading is enabled in there. I am not
sure it matters if disabled in the registry but it could not hurt (ensure you
reboot). I'd also check the slow PC's NIC settings.

Have you verified it is not a network switch issue? Any "pattern" to the
slowness w.r.t. how the PC's are connected to the server?

Not sure what else to suggest. You may want to post to the SBS08 specific
group, you need to join first:
https://connect.microsoft.com/

Good luck.

--
Allan Williams

OneginNH wrote:

On Wednesday, March 03, 2010 4:04 PM
Brad wrote:

Was there found a solution to this issue?
Was there found a solution to this issue? I am having exactly the same
problem, although its more around copying files up the server. It takes
30mins for a 50M file! Its a Gigabit network, all offloading is turned off
on the NIC and the registry, servers brand new, and the previous server with
Windows 2000 was fine. It doesnt seem to have any issues with Windows 7
clients, and IP6 is turned on (its SBS2008 and so cant turn it off without
effecting other things).

Any help here would be really appreciated - Im a bit stuck.

Brad

"Al Williams" wrote:

On Friday, June 04, 2010 1:41 PM
sspence wrote:

i am having Identical problems on my new SBS 2008 server.
i am having Identical problems on my new SBS 2008 server. extrememly
slow browsing to server shares. plus i also get "the local device is
already in use" error... I have done all the same steps listed in this
topic. I am desperate for a solution. Did you find one. This is
killing productivity of my CAD users...

--
sspencer(a)inframap.ne
sspencer(a)inframap.ne's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/228505.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

On Friday, June 04, 2010 3:10 PM
Russ SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP] wrote:

Spencer,You have posted this question to techarena.
Spencer,
You have posted this question to techarena.in
Which attempts to copy posts from Microsoft's Public Newsgroup
This Breaks Threads from the source and we can not see what you are
referring to.

Please post a new question to

For SBS related questions we recommend that you start with Public Forum
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver/threads

Should you want to visit the other Microsoft Public Forums, please go to
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/forums/default.mspx

As the NNTP newsgroups will be retiring soon.

Russ

Full Details here!
*This is a edited repost of an earlier Microsoft message.
(No this is not a joke) - Russ Grover MVP

What is Happening?
This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin discontinuing
newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums.

Why?
As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; however, the
traffic in the Microsoft newsgroups has been steadily decreasing for the
past several years while customers and participants are increasingly finding
solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites. This
move will unify the customer experience, centralize content, make it easier
for active contributors to retain their influence, mitigate redundancies and
make the content easier to find by customers and search engines through
improved indexing. Additionally, forums offer a better user and spam
management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by encouraging a
healthy discussion in a clean community space. To this end, Microsoft will
begin to progressively shift available resources to the forums technology
and discontinue support for newsgroups.

In addition to offering a compelling online browser experience, for those
users who prefer to use an NNTP (newsgroup) reader to participate in the
newsgroups community, we have developed a solution called the NNTP Bridge
which allows a user to connect a variety of supported NNTP readers to the
forums they would like to participate in and continue having the NTTP reader
functionality. You can find instructions on how to download and set up the

Microsoft NNTP Bridge
http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/

Which Newsgroups Are Affected by this Shutdown?
All public newsgroups will eventually be closed between June 1, 2010 and
October 1, 2010. Microsoft will be closing newsgroups in a phased approach,
starting with the least active newsgroups and moving eventually to more
active ones throughout the course of the next six months.

Where Should I go with the Closure of this Newsgroup?
Microsoft has a large selection of forums, many of which cover either the
same or closely related technologies to the ones found in the newsgroups.
The forums have seen amazing growth and are an excellent place to continue
the discussion.

For SBS related questions we recommend that you start with Public Forum
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver/threads

Should you want to visit the other Microsoft Public Forums, please go to
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/forums/default.mspx

Who Should I Contact with any Questions?
Send any questions about the process, recommended forums and timing to
NNTP(a)microsoft.com

------------------------------
Russ Grover

--
Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]
MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC

On Friday, June 04, 2010 11:01 PM
Leythos wrote:

sspencer(a)inframap.ne says...
sspencer(a)inframap.ne says...

Since you do not properly quote the thread you are asking about, since
this is Usenet and not a web based forum, we can only guess about your
issue:

1) What antivirus software are you running on the workstations?
2) What antivirus software are you running on the server
3) Is your DHCP properly setup using the 2008 Wizards?
4) Is your DNS properly setup using the 2008 Wizards?
5) Did you setup the drive shares using the Wizards?

Post an IPCONFIG /ALL from the server (do not edit it)

Post an IPCONFIG /ALL from a workstation having problems

--
You cannot trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little
voice inside you that most civilians do not even hear -- Listen to that.

On Saturday, June 12, 2010 11:48 AM
jmurdoch wrote:

Put in a low end realtek gigabit nic and the xp machines went from1megabit to
Put in a low end realtek gigabit nic and the xp machines went from
1megabit to 300megabit file copies from the sbs2008 server. It appears
either Intel or MS have something to answer for. I tried all of the
patches to fix the issues and none of them worked. I found that after
rebooting the speed on the intel nic may be fast for a little while but
eventually slows down (almost as if some service kicks in later that
causes the slowness issues).

--
jmurdoch
jmurdoch's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/231527.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/small-business-server/1299892.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

MongoDb: Install as Service and use .NET Drivers
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/51d3ae19-d6f9-4807-ac0a-0baab2964b03/mongodb-install-as-service-and-use-net-drivers.aspx