From: Hartbypass on
Hello,

I have seen a number of posts about this, but not a clear explanation
that matches my scenario that I can use to resolve.

We have 5 separate websites that all point to the the same physical
directory on the IIS Server. Each site has a different host header
and a different home page, but shares other content in the same
directory.

When I try to setup in IIS the default document, it changes the
default document for the other sites. For example:

www.site1.com default1.asp
www.site2.com default2.asp
www.site3.com default3.asp
www.site4.com default4.asp
www.site5.com default5.asp

Each time i move the specific one to the top it because the primary
for all the other sites. These are asp sites. If I need to modify
the system.webserver area of the web.config, that's fine, I just need
to know the syntax.

Thanks,
Greg

From: Ken Schaefer on
If your websites all point to the same physical location, then you only have
a single physical web.config file. When you alter the default document in
that file, then it will be changed for all websites (because they all are
reading the same physical web.config).

Try this instead. In applicationHost.config, define multiple <location>
settings:

<location path="website1">
<system.webServer>
<defaultDocument>
<!-- your setting here -->
</defaultDocument>
</system.webServer>
</location>

<location path="website2">
<system.webServer>
<defaultDocument>
<!-- your setting here -->
</defaultDocument>
</system.webServer>
</location>

etc

Cheers
Ken

From: Hartbypass on
On May 14, 12:47 pm, "Ken Schaefer" <kenREM...(a)THISadOpenStatic.com>
wrote:
> If your websites all point to the same physical location, then you only have
> a single physical web.config file. When you alter the default document in
> that file, then it will be changed for all websites (because they all are
> reading the same physical web.config).
>
> Try this instead. In applicationHost.config, define multiple <location>
> settings:
>
> <location path="website1">
>     <system.webServer>
>         <defaultDocument>
>             <!-- your setting here -->
>         </defaultDocument>
>     </system.webServer>
> </location>
>
> <location path="website2">
>     <system.webServer>
>         <defaultDocument>
>             <!-- your setting here -->
>         </defaultDocument>
>     </system.webServer>
> </location>
>
> etc
>
> Cheers
> Ken
>
> "Hartbypass" <hartbyp...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hello,
>
> > I have seen a number of posts about this, but not a clear explanation
> > that matches my scenario that I can use to resolve.
>
> > We have 5 separate websites that all point to the the same physical
> > directory on the IIS Server.  Each site has a different host header
> > and a different home page, but shares other content in the same
> > directory.
>
> > When I try to setup in IIS the default document, it changes the
> > default document for the other sites.  For example:
>
> >www.site1.comdefault1.asp
> >www.site2.comdefault2.asp
> >www.site3.comdefault3.asp
> >www.site4.comdefault4.asp
> >www.site5.comdefault5.asp
>
> > Each time i move the specific one to the top it because the primary
> > for all the other sites.  These are asp sites.  If I need to modify
> > the system.webserver area of the web.config, that's fine, I just need
> > to know the syntax.
>
> > Thanks,
> > Greg- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, but I just can't get it working.

I have added the info to the applicationHost.config using:

%windir%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd.exe set config "Website1" -
section:system.webServer/defaultDocument -+files.
[value='default1.asp'] -commitpath:apphost

Seems to add right. Tried to do an IISReset, but the default page
does not change for the different sites within the same directory.

Is there something I need to do to the web.config as well.

Any more thoughts?