From: Yianni on
Oh, I forgot. For the xerox 7400 there is a trick to use the same color
drums twice or even three times. This could reduce this cost at 1/2 or 1/3.
If you need info, please send me an email (jir_2008(a)yahoo.gr). Having 4
drums is an advantage, otherwise the cost would be much higher. This printer
raises slightly the 3 color drums when it prints b/w, using only the black
drum (in this case it insulates totaly the three other colors). Not all
color laser printers does this.

From: Alan on
On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 12:47:48 BST, Mr John FO Evans
<mijas(a)orpheusmail.co.uk> wrote:

>I would like to highlight a problem which we have found with laser printer
>(Postscript) and similar drivers and ask if anyone has found a solution.
>
>The following comments only apply where there is a different cost/page for
>B/W and colour printing.
>
>We print large numbers of magazines etc. on large laser printers. They are
>authored in Word, Publisher or Adobe In-Design. We use a printer with a
>finisher (collate,staple and fold) to minimise hand-work.
>
>Often the cover page is in colour and the remaining magazine is in B/W. For
>economy we wish to print only the cover in colour.
>
>We find that in the majority of documents there is residual colour in the
>B/W pages. This arises because the document uses process black (all colours)
>or because there are accidental colour inclusions. Finding and removing
>these small areas of colour is difficult and time-consuming.
>
>This means that many B/W pages are charged at colour cost/page which is
>several times greater than the B/W rate.
>
>Most if not all drivers can be set to print everything in B/W but with
>automatic finishing this means that the cover will also be B/W.
>
>What is needed is a driver which can be set to colour on selected pages
>only. The only way in which we can currently achieve this is to create
>colour jpegs for the cover and B/W jpegs for the remaining pages. These are
>then printed from a DTP program which does not introduce further colour.
>
>We find this messy, driver writers please note!!

Not a driver but certainly better than jpegging the whole thing:
print to PDF (every DTP app can do this), either directly or using a
virtual printer.

Most prepress workflow uses PDF these days.

Then you can use Acrobat.

If you can output your text pages using your B/W option to PDF, you
can then join them into one file with the colour cover using Acrobat.

Or "Quite A Box Of Tricks" from http://www.quite.com/box/index.htm
is an Acrobat plugin that can convert all colours to greyscale,
amongst other things.

From: Dieter Riekert on
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop(a)nastydesigns.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> In article <na.2df27b513f.a903c0mijas(a)orpheusmail.co.uk>,
> Mr John FO Evans <mijas(a)orpheusmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> We print large numbers of magazines etc. on large laser printers. They
>> are
>> authored in Word, Publisher
>
> this is very important information.
>

>> Often the cover page is in colour and the remaining magazine is in B/W.
>> For
>> economy we wish to print only the cover in colour.
>>
>> We find that in the majority of documents there is residual colour in the
>> B/W pages. This arises because the document uses process black (all
>> colours)
>> or because there are accidental colour inclusions. Finding and removing
>> these small areas of colour is difficult and time-consuming.
>
> Because they're coming out of Word, Powerpoint, Publisher,
> etc--Microsoft Office. RGB black, when it goes to a CMYK printer, is
> translated to CMY black.
>

>> What is needed is a driver which can be set to colour on selected pages
>> only. The only way in which we can currently achieve this is to create
>> colour jpegs for the cover and B/W jpegs for the remaining pages. These
>> are
>> then printed from a DTP program which does not introduce further colour.
>>
>> We find this messy, driver writers please note!!
>
> This has nothing to do with the people who write the printer drivers,
> really.
>
> What color laser printer are you printing to? There are solutions to
> this, but the printer manufacturer has to offer those solutions.
>
> There are also other solutions available outside the printing system
> itself, but that introduces other complications.

There is another solution using PrintMulti.
It is a print processor which can act as a virtual printer with the
possibility to print a single job to multiple printers with many options.
In your case the job will be printed twice to the same printer. First job
only containing the first page in color. Second job the other pages in b/w.
Since this result in two different print jobs you might have problems with
your finishing (try using file save device modes or contact me if you need a
change in PrintMulti).
PrintMulti is free for all client OS. A configuration involving a virtual
printer "FirstColorPagePrinter" could look like this:

[FirstColorPagePrinter]
Active=1
Action1=Print;FirstColor
Action2=Print;OtherBW

[FirstColor]
Printer=YourLocalOrNetworkPrinter
FirstPage=1
LastPage=1
Color=1

[OtherBW]
Printer=YourLocalOrNetworkPrinter
FirstPage=2
Color=0
DeviceMode1=... for file saved device mode using a finishing option.

http://www.lvbprint.de/html/printmulti1.html

Dieter