From: Roy S on
I am not able to improve defrag of my laptop hard drive with 27%
defragmentation per analysis using Windows or Norton 360 software. Do I need
to reformat the hard drive and perform reinstallation? Any suggestions?

From: Randem on
either use a smarter program like SmartDefrag or find the settings in the
program that you use to achieve better positioning.

--
The Top Inno Setup Script Generator - http://www.randem.com/innoscript.html

From: HeyBub on
Roy S wrote:
> I am not able to improve defrag of my laptop hard drive with 27%
> defragmentation per analysis using Windows or Norton 360 software. Do
> I need to reformat the hard drive and perform reinstallation? Any
> suggestions?

1. Get rid of Norton.
2. Defragging a consumer computer, such as a laptop, is never needed and
can, as you have demonstrated, result in lost time and much confusion.

From: Jim on
On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 23:24:04 -0700, Roy S
<RoyS(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am not able to improve defrag of my laptop hard drive with 27%
>defragmentation per analysis using Windows or Norton 360 software. Do I need
>to reformat the hard drive and perform reinstallation? Any suggestions?

D/l and try
http://www.piriform.com/defraggler ( free)
From: Daave on
Roy S wrote:
> I am not able to improve defrag of my laptop hard drive with 27%
> defragmentation per analysis using Windows or Norton 360 software. Do
> I need to reformat the hard drive and perform reinstallation? Any
> suggestions?

With older operating systems (like Windows 98), defragging made sense.
But it is nowhere near as important with systems like Windows XP. So,
you might not notice much improvement (if any) after a defrag.

Does your PC perform poorly? If so, we can address that and correct it.

For starters. Norton 360 tends to slow down many computers. You should
consider uninstalling it (yes, I know you paid for it) and substituting
superior programs which are easier on the PC's resources. If you decide
you'd like to do that, post back and you'll get recommendations as well
as the proper method to remove Norton.

Other things about your PC you should mention:

1. Make and model

2. Amount of RAM

3. Size of hard drive and amount of free space

4. Other security programs that you run