From: cgee on
I recently had my pc in for repair and now I cannot defrag. When I select
that option a screen appears saying MMC CANNOT OPEN THE FILE
C\/WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\dfrg.msc Then it says this may because the file does not
exist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version . This may
also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file. I have
always been able to defrag.
The other problem I have is Window search it says it is not running and I
have to select search companion in order to search.
--
cgee
From: C on
cgee wrote:
> I recently had my pc in for repair and now I cannot defrag. When I select
> that option a screen appears saying MMC CANNOT OPEN THE FILE
> C\/WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\dfrg.msc Then it says this may because the file does not
> exist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version . This may
> also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file. I have
> always been able to defrag.
> The other problem I have is Window search it says it is not running and I
> have to select search companion in order to search.
> --
> cgee

Take it back the the place you had it "repaired" and raise hell. What
"repair" did they do?

From: nass on

"cgee" wrote:

> I recently had my pc in for repair and now I cannot defrag. When I select
> that option a screen appears saying MMC CANNOT OPEN THE FILE
> C\/WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\dfrg.msc Then it says this may because the file does not
> exist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version . This may
> also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file. I have
> always been able to defrag.
> The other problem I have is Window search it says it is not running and I
> have to select search companion in order to search.
> --
> cgee

Hi,
That mean something broken the linker or removing a Services pack or
restoring to an old service pack can cause this.

Try these steps and best if you updated the system to the latest Services
Pack (SP3):

- Open a run command and type in:
regsvr32 msxml3.dll click [OK] or Hit Enter
regsvr32 dfrgsnap.dll click [OK] or Hit Enter

Restart the machine and try the defrag process, does it help?

- If the above didn't help try to reinstall the Inf file for the defrag
utility:
Go to C:\Windows\Inf, right click at dfrg.inf file and select Install.
If the file above not showing please make sure the option to show hidden
files and folder checked then you can hide them after reinstalling.

Reboot your machine, does it help solving your issue?

- If still having trouble try this reg file and also reboot your system
after applying the reg file:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/defragsnapin.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{43668E21-2636-11D1-A1CE-0080C88593A5}]
@="DfrgSnapin Class"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{43668E21-2636-11D1-A1CE-0080C88593A5}\InprocServer32]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\dfrgsnap.dll"
"ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{43668E21-2636-11D1-A1CE-0080C88593A5}\ProgID]
@="DfrgSnapin.DfrgSnapin.1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{43668E21-2636-11D1-A1CE-0080C88593A5}\TypeLib]
@="{CD83A785-6F75-11D2-A385-00609772642E}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{43668E21-2636-11D1-A1CE-0080C88593A5}\VersionIndependentProgID]
@="DfrgSnapin.DfrgSnapin"

- Update to the latest MMC version from here:
MMC 3.0 update is available for Windows Server 2003 and for Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907265

You receive a “Cannot open <Snap-in Name>” error message when you try to
start MMC on a Windows XP-based computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326574

HTH
nass
--