From: Menno Hershberger on
I have an older Systemax here with XP Home Edition (SP3) that keeps
rebooting itself whether or not in Normal or Safe Mode. I have the restore
CD and can get in to the Recovery Console OK. I ran chkdsk, fixboot, and
fixmbr. Those didn't fix it. So I cloned the drive just for good luck and
then tried to do a repair install. The install went as far as examining the
disk, copying files, and then rebooted... only to go back into the reboot
loop.
These people use their computer every day and keep their updates up to date
so I'm guessing it is NOT related to the MS update that created havoc here
a couple or three weeks ago.
I can always (and probably will) wipe it out and start anew since I have
all the data saved on another drive. But I'd rather not if I can get out of
it since it would require reinstall of a lot of programs that they likely
don't have in installation CDs for.
Does anyone have any ideas how I might get this fixed from the Recovery
Console? Or any other way, as far as that goes... :-)

--
--- Long live Fat32! ---
From: nass on

"Menno Hershberger" wrote:

> I have an older Systemax here with XP Home Edition (SP3) that keeps
> rebooting itself whether or not in Normal or Safe Mode. I have the restore
> CD and can get in to the Recovery Console OK. I ran chkdsk, fixboot, and
> fixmbr. Those didn't fix it. So I cloned the drive just for good luck and
> then tried to do a repair install. The install went as far as examining the
> disk, copying files, and then rebooted... only to go back into the reboot
> loop.
> These people use their computer every day and keep their updates up to date
> so I'm guessing it is NOT related to the MS update that created havoc here
> a couple or three weeks ago.
> I can always (and probably will) wipe it out and start anew since I have
> all the data saved on another drive. But I'd rather not if I can get out of
> it since it would require reinstall of a lot of programs that they likely
> don't have in installation CDs for.
> Does anyone have any ideas how I might get this fixed from the Recovery
> Console? Or any other way, as far as that goes... :-)
>
> --
> --- Long live Fat32! ---
> .

Did you check for Hardware defectiveness? Like RAM, Heat Issue..etc

Also did you test to see if the backed up data will be accessed easy without
problem before wiping out the HDD?
HTH
nass
---
http://www.nasstec.co.uk

From: Jose on
On Feb 21, 12:35 am, Menno Hershberger <mhers...(a)nosuchplace.net>
wrote:
> I have an older Systemax here with XP Home Edition (SP3) that keeps
> rebooting itself whether or not in Normal or Safe Mode. I have the restore
> CD and can get in to the Recovery Console OK. I ran chkdsk, fixboot, and
> fixmbr. Those didn't fix it. So I cloned the drive just for good luck and
> then tried to do a repair install. The install went as far as examining the
> disk, copying files, and then rebooted... only to go back into the reboot
> loop.
> These people use their computer every day and keep their updates up to date
> so I'm guessing it is NOT related to the MS update that created havoc here
> a couple or three weeks ago.
> I can always (and probably will) wipe it out and start anew since I have
> all the data saved on another drive. But I'd rather not if I can get out of
> it since it would require reinstall of a lot of programs that they likely
> don't have in installation CDs for.
> Does anyone have any ideas how I might get this fixed from the Recovery
> Console? Or any other way, as far as that goes... :-)
>
> --
>                     --- Long live Fat32! ---

What is your definition of reboot?

Do you get to logon and then see a message "Saving your settings..."
and can't get out of that mode?

That is not a reboot, so first we need to know for sure what is
happening, then fix it.

If you had the 02/09/2010 update issue, your system would not boot at
all and you would have a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD), so if you don't
see that, you do not have that problem.

What is a restore CD? Is that a genuine bootable XP installation CD
or some kind of recovery CD that came with the system? They are not
the same.

If you don't have a genuine bootable XP installation CD or a bootable
Recovery Console CD, you can make one:

You can create a bootable XP Recovery Console CD when no XP media is
available:

From: captain977 on

From: captain977 on
try reinstalling your drivers or updating them,had the same thing happen on
my machine.Recovery will put the same old drivers back in.

"Menno Hershberger" wrote:

> I have an older Systemax here with XP Home Edition (SP3) that keeps
> rebooting itself whether or not in Normal or Safe Mode. I have the restore
> CD and can get in to the Recovery Console OK. I ran chkdsk, fixboot, and
> fixmbr. Those didn't fix it. So I cloned the drive just for good luck and
> then tried to do a repair install. The install went as far as examining the
> disk, copying files, and then rebooted... only to go back into the reboot
> loop.
> These people use their computer every day and keep their updates up to date
> so I'm guessing it is NOT related to the MS update that created havoc here
> a couple or three weeks ago.
> I can always (and probably will) wipe it out and start anew since I have
> all the data saved on another drive. But I'd rather not if I can get out of
> it since it would require reinstall of a lot of programs that they likely
> don't have in installation CDs for.
> Does anyone have any ideas how I might get this fixed from the Recovery
> Console? Or any other way, as far as that goes... :-)
>
> --
> --- Long live Fat32! ---
> .
>
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: The Registry Cannot load the hive (file)
Next: Defrag