From: Father Justin on
I have a friend and apparently the Lord doesn't like him very much.
He gets a blue screen of death with the following message.
The Registry Cannot load the hive (file)
\systemroot\system32\config\software
or its lot or alternate.
it is corrupt, absent ot not verifiable.

I googled this message and the only way I see to fix it requires the
Windows media. He is currently traveling the world and doesn't have his
CD with him.
Is there a way for him to recover the registry some other way?

This is why I use a Mac....

--
http://www.vatican.va
From: John Wunderlich on
Father Justin <justin(a)nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote in

> I have a friend and apparently the Lord doesn't like him very
> much. He gets a blue screen of death with the following message.
> The Registry Cannot load the hive (file)
> \systemroot\system32\config\software
> or its lot or alternate.
> it is corrupt, absent ot not verifiable.
>
> I googled this message and the only way I see to fix it requires
> the Windows media. He is currently traveling the world and
> doesn't have his CD with him.
> Is there a way for him to recover the registry some other way?
>
> This is why I use a Mac....

My approach would be to have your friend use another computer to burn a
Live Linux CD such as Knoppix and boot from that disk. This disk can
be used to substitute for the CD with Recovery Console steps in the
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article

"How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from
starting"
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545>

You will have to look past the exact steps and instead follow the
intent in the KB article and use Linux to copy, move, and rename backup
registry files as directed in the article.

Knoppix:
<http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html>

HTH,
John
From: Father Justin on
On 2/20/10 11:42 PM, John Wunderlich wrote:
> Father Justin<justin(a)nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote in
>
>> I have a friend and apparently the Lord doesn't like him very
>> much. He gets a blue screen of death with the following message.
>> The Registry Cannot load the hive (file)
>> \systemroot\system32\config\software
>> or its lot or alternate.
>> it is corrupt, absent ot not verifiable.
>>
>> I googled this message and the only way I see to fix it requires
>> the Windows media. He is currently traveling the world and
>> doesn't have his CD with him.
>> Is there a way for him to recover the registry some other way?
>>
>> This is why I use a Mac....
>>

> My approach would be to have your friend use another computer to burn a
> Live Linux CD such as Knoppix and boot from that disk. This disk can
> be used to substitute for the CD with Recovery Console steps in the
> Microsoft Knowledge Base Article
>
> "How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from
> starting"
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545>
>
> You will have to look past the exact steps and instead follow the
> intent in the KB article and use Linux to copy, move, and rename backup
> registry files as directed in the article.
>
> Knoppix:
> <http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html>
>
> HTH,
> John

Yikes.
that won't happen. I don't have the machine and there's no way he's
technically adept enough to do something like that.

--
http://www.vatican.va
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
With all due respect, that's like telling us, "My friend's car won't start:
When he turns the key, it sounds like <rrrrrrr> and sometimes like
<chuga-chuga-chuga> but it never starts. How can he get the car running
again?"

PS: Watch it, the Lord's a PC! <eg>

From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"Father Justin" <justin(a)nobecauseihatespam.com> said this in news item
> I have a friend and apparently the Lord doesn't like him very much.
> He gets a blue screen of death with the following message.
> The Registry Cannot load the hive (file)
> \systemroot\system32\config\software
> or its lot or alternate.
> it is corrupt, absent ot not verifiable.
>
> I googled this message and the only way I see to fix it requires the
> Windows media. He is currently traveling the world and doesn't have his
> CD with him.
> Is there a way for him to recover the registry some other way?
>
> This is why I use a Mac....
>
> --
> http://www.vatican.va

It seems that the Lord is punishing your friend for straying from the right
and narrow path (the Mac path). He will need spiritual guidance in order to
return to the flock. To restore Windows to its former glory he should
perform a manual system restore (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545)
which is nothing for the faint hearted. May the Lord guide him.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: DIRECTDBNOTIFYWNDPROC
Next: Reboot loop