Prev: C++ FAQ
Next: c++ standard
From: Vincenzo Mercuri on
Hi all,

i need some opinion from C++ experts about the book "C++ For
Programmers" by Deitel&Deitel.

What is the difference with the "C++ How To Pragram"?

Which one would be fine as introductory book and reference?

Thank You
--
Vincenzo Mercuri
From: Vincenzo Mercuri on
Il 11/06/2010 21.55, Vincenzo Mercuri ha scritto:
> Hi all,
>
> i need some opinion from C++ experts about the book "C++ For
> Programmers" by Deitel&Deitel.
>
> What is the difference with the "C++ How To Pragram"?
>
> Which one would be fine as introductory book and reference?
>
> Thank You

mistake: "C++ How To PrOgram"

Cheers

--
Vincenzo Mercuri
From: Francis Glassborow on
Vincenzo Mercuri wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i need some opinion from C++ experts about the book "C++ For
> Programmers" by Deitel&Deitel.
>
> What is the difference with the "C++ How To Pragram"?
>
> Which one would be fine as introductory book and reference?
>
> Thank You
In my opinion, neither. There are several excellent books to choose
from so why even consider an inferior one.

The C++ Primer 4th edition (lippman, La Joie and Moo) is a superb book
which has improved with each new edition. Basically Stan Lippman wrote
the original. Josee La Joie rewrote it for the 3rd edition and then
Barbara Moo (with more than a little background help from her husband.
Andrew Koenig) rewrote it again for the 4th edition. The end result is
an authoritative work and an excellent introduction.

Then there is The C++ Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrup and if
your programming is weak there is Programming: Principles and Practice
Using C++ by the same author (and pitched at the same level as the
Deitel and Deitel books but with much more expertise and understanding
of both C++ and the art of programming). You might also consider
Accelerated C++ by Andrew Koenig if you can take a fast pace.
From: Vincenzo Mercuri on
Il 11/06/2010 22:24, Francis Glassborow ha scritto:
> Vincenzo Mercuri wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> i need some opinion from C++ experts about the book "C++ For
>> Programmers" by Deitel&Deitel.
>>
>> What is the difference with the "C++ How To Pragram"?
>>
>> Which one would be fine as introductory book and reference?
>>
>> Thank You
> In my opinion, neither. There are several excellent books to choose from
> so why even consider an inferior one.
>
> The C++ Primer 4th edition (lippman, La Joie and Moo) is a superb book
> which has improved with each new edition. Basically Stan Lippman wrote
> the original. Josee La Joie rewrote it for the 3rd edition and then
> Barbara Moo (with more than a little background help from her husband.
> Andrew Koenig) rewrote it again for the 4th edition. The end result is
> an authoritative work and an excellent introduction.
>
> Then there is The C++ Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrup and if
> your programming is weak there is Programming: Principles and Practice
> Using C++ by the same author (and pitched at the same level as the
> Deitel and Deitel books but with much more expertise and understanding
> of both C++ and the art of programming). You might also consider
> Accelerated C++ by Andrew Koenig if you can take a fast pace.

Thanks for your full answer.

I'll take your advice and start with C++ Primer, and then The C++
Programming Language by Stroustrup.

Cheers

Vincenzo Mercuri
From: neil on
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 15:14:31 +0200, Vincenzo Mercuri wrote:

> Thanks for your full answer.
>
> I'll take your advice and start with C++ Primer, and then The C++
> Programming Language by Stroustrup.
>
> Cheers
>
> Vincenzo Mercuri

Hi, I am very late in replying to you. I am trying to learn also. I have
worked through Deitel C++ How to program. I can say it is not a bad book.
It is a good reference book imo. The things I read in it I cannot
remember and i would say that it tries to cover too much and that's the
problem.
I have also read and worked through Accelarated C++ by Koenig & Moo. I
will say I learn a lot from this book. I would say though that it goes
too fast for someone as thick as me.
Last year I bought 'You can Program in C++' written by Francis Glassborow
- the same person that replied to your message. I have not completed this
book as yet, but would say that I think its the best that I have invested
in so far. I would recommend it to you for quality. It is also a very
reasonably priced book.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: C++ FAQ