From: neil on
Does a novice like me need to be worried about the c++ standard? In
other words is it a waste of money at this stage to buy a copy?
I'm learning the language and not doing anything heavy duty.
From: Richard Heathfield on
neil wrote:
> Does a novice like me need to be worried about the c++ standard? In
> other words is it a waste of money at this stage to buy a copy?
> I'm learning the language and not doing anything heavy duty.

You need to be worried about it, but you don't necessarily need to buy a
copy. What you need to know is (a) what the Standard is, (b) what it is
for, and (c) why it's important. Having that information, you are more
likely to react positively to advice based upon it!

The Standard is a unifying document that provides a common definition of
C++ to which all conforming implementations subscribe. Well, that's the
theory - there are some corner cases where it isn't quite true, but it's
true enough to be useful. It's important because it means that, if you
stick to that common definition of C++, you can write a program in C++
that will work on any conforming C++ compiler - the stuff you learn on
ThisCompiler(tm) will also work on ThatCompiler(tm), *provided* that the
Standard says it will.

Nobody can reasonably claim to be an expert on every dialect of C++ Out
There, which is why questions about specific implementations (e.g.
Visual C++, or GNU C++, or Borland C++, or whatever) are better asked in
groups dedicated to those implementations. But questions about the core
language work well here - and those questions will very likely be
answered by people who refer and defer to the Standard.

Email: -http://www. +rjh@
Sig line vacant - apply within
From: Kensai on
Great reply! I'm saving a local copy for future memory.

From: neil on
Richard Heathfield <rjh(a)see.sig.invalid> wrote:
> neil wrote:
>> Does a novice like me need to be worried about the c++ standard? In
>> other words is it a waste of money at this stage to buy a copy?
>> I'm learning the language and not doing anything heavy duty.
>
> You need to be worried about it, but you don't necessarily need to buy
> a copy. What you need to know is (a) what the Standard is, (b) what it
> is for, and (c) why it's important. Having that information, you are
> more likely to react positively to advice based upon it!
>
> The Standard is a unifying document that provides a common definition
> of C++ to which all conforming implementations subscribe. Well, that's
> the theory - there are some corner cases where it isn't quite true,
> but it's true enough to be useful. It's important because it means
> that, if you stick to that common definition of C++, you can write a
> program in C++ that will work on any conforming C++ compiler - the
> stuff you learn on ThisCompiler(tm) will also work on
> ThatCompiler(tm), *provided* that the Standard says it will.
>
> Nobody can reasonably claim to be an expert on every dialect of C++
> Out There, which is why questions about specific implementations (e.g.
> Visual C++, or GNU C++, or Borland C++, or whatever) are better asked
> in groups dedicated to those implementations. But questions about the
> core language work well here - and those questions will very likely be
> answered by people who refer and defer to the Standard.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read and respond to my
message. Your answer is very helpful.
From: TheGunslinger on
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 21:00:47 +0000 (UTC), neil <invalid(a)invalid.net>
wrote:

>Richard Heathfield <rjh(a)see.sig.invalid> wrote:
>> neil wrote:
>>> Does a novice like me need to be worried about the c++ standard? In
>>> other words is it a waste of money at this stage to buy a copy?
>>> I'm learning the language and not doing anything heavy duty.
>>
>> You need to be worried about it, but you don't necessarily need to buy
>> a copy. What you need to know is (a) what the Standard is, (b) what it
>> is for, and (c) why it's important. Having that information, you are
>> more likely to react positively to advice based upon it!
>>
>> The Standard is a unifying document that provides a common definition
>> of C++ to which all conforming implementations subscribe. Well, that's
>> the theory - there are some corner cases where it isn't quite true,
>> but it's true enough to be useful. It's important because it means
>> that, if you stick to that common definition of C++, you can write a
>> program in C++ that will work on any conforming C++ compiler - the
>> stuff you learn on ThisCompiler(tm) will also work on
>> ThatCompiler(tm), *provided* that the Standard says it will.
>>
>> Nobody can reasonably claim to be an expert on every dialect of C++
>> Out There, which is why questions about specific implementations (e.g.
>> Visual C++, or GNU C++, or Borland C++, or whatever) are better asked
>> in groups dedicated to those implementations. But questions about the
>> core language work well here - and those questions will very likely be
>> answered by people who refer and defer to the Standard.
>
>Thank you very much for taking the time to read and respond to my
>message. Your answer is very helpful.

You might do a search for >> C++ FAQ's Lite << which will introduce
you the standard with some coding examples. It is free to d/l.

Hope this helps

GL...

MJR