From: Don Phillipson on
<richard(a)tortoise.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Mon, 31 May 2010 17:04:53 -0600, Bruce Chambers
.. . .
> I was supposing that if UserA had the 'Delete Subfolders and Files'
> permission on FolderA, then that would be an irrevocable right they
> would hold for any files or folders, nested at any depth, within FolderA.

Oh -- why?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

From: John John - MVP on
richard(a)tortoise.demon.co.uk wrote:
> On Mon, 31 May 2010 17:04:53 -0600, Bruce Chambers
> <bchambers(a)cable0ne.n3t> wrote:
>
>> richard(a)tortoise.demon.co.uk wrote:

>>> Well, thanks for your reply Bruce, but that's not what it says in the
>>> xp help:
>>>
>>> 'Delete Subfolders and Files
>>> Allows or denies deleting subfolders and files, even if the Delete
>>> permission has not been granted on the subfolder or file. (applies to
>>> folders)'
>>>
>>> That's exactly the situation here. UserB has not granted permission to
>>> UserA to delete FileB, and indeed he can't, despite having 'Delete
>>> Subfolders & Files' permission on a containing folder.
>>>
>>> Is the help wrong, or is there some other way of interpreting what it
>>> says?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Richard
>>>

>> You said that "UserB has taken away all rights from UserA to do
>> anything with FolderB, including inherited rights." Therefore, what
>> your seeing is exactly what it should be.
>
> I was supposing that if UserA had the 'Delete Subfolders and Files'
> permission on FolderA, then that would be an irrevocable right they
> would hold for any files or folders, nested at any depth, within
> FolderA.

No, explicit permissions take precedence over inherited permissions and
denied denied permissions take precedence over allowed permissions.

John
From: richard on
On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 10:00:47 -0300, John John - MVP
<audetweld(a)nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:

>richard(a)tortoise.demon.co.uk wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 May 2010 17:04:53 -0600, Bruce Chambers
>> <bchambers(a)cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

>>> You said that "UserB has taken away all rights from UserA to do
>>> anything with FolderB, including inherited rights." Therefore, what
>>> your seeing is exactly what it should be.
>>
>> I was supposing that if UserA had the 'Delete Subfolders and Files'
>> permission on FolderA, then that would be an irrevocable right they
>> would hold for any files or folders, nested at any depth, within
>> FolderA.
>
>No, explicit permissions take precedence over inherited permissions and
>denied denied permissions take precedence over allowed permissions.
>
>John

So how does UserA deal with the situation I described, where they
cannot delete a folder they own because another user has
created files or folders within it and taken away UserA's rights to
delete those nested files or folders?

Without 'Delete Subfolders and Files' working in the way I had
supposed, UserA's only option seems to be to involve an administrator,
asking them to take ownership and then delete the problem files &
folders.

Regards
Richard
From: Bruce Chambers on
richard(a)tortoise.demon.co.uk wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 10:00:47 -0300, John John - MVP
>
>> No, explicit permissions take precedence over inherited permissions and
>> denied denied permissions take precedence over allowed permissions.
>>
>> John
>
> So how does UserA deal with the situation I described, where they
> cannot delete a folder they own because another user has
> created files or folders within it and taken away UserA's rights to
> delete those nested files or folders?

UserA, at this point, *cannot* do anything to deal with it, because
he/she allowed UserB Full Control within his/her purported area of
control. Only another user with administrative permissions to all of
the folders/sub-folders can now put things "right" by taking ownership
of the entire (from UserA's level down) folder tree.

> Without 'Delete Subfolders and Files' working in the way I had
> supposed, UserA's only option seems to be to involve an administrator,
> asking them to take ownership and then delete the problem files &
> folders.

That's correct. This is one reason why, in the normal scheme of
things, only administrators are permitted "Full Control." Normal users
should never be granted any privileges beyond "Modify."

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
From: richard on
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 17:31:52 -0600, Bruce Chambers
<bchambers(a)cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

> That's correct. This is one reason why, in the normal scheme of
>things, only administrators are permitted "Full Control." Normal users
>should never be granted any privileges beyond "Modify."

ok.

Thank you for your help Bruce.

Regards
Richard