From: devnullius on
Windows XP Home SP3.

Everytime when I start my computer, as by magic Outlook Express automatically starts up after I log on.

This is NOT due to a startup entry! There is NO start-up entry that explains why OE starts everytime my computer does. I checked this with Windows Defender; msconfig; manual registry check; Tuneup Utlities 2010 Startup Manager, Startup Control Panel 2.x by Mike Lin; absolute startup manager.

OE was never used on this computer. I tried the registry tricks on this page (http://www.ehow.com/how_4917214_disable-uninstall-outlook-express.html) [ --> {44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C} and for {881dd1c5-3dcf-431b-b061-f3f88e8be88a}, change the value of "IsInstalled (REG_DWORD)" from 1 to 0 .

First registry fix seemed to fix it, after turning the computer on, I got a windows notification that OE wasn't installed anymore and that it would "clean up" (whatever that is - I did not have any emails to begin with). So I logged off, and back on and NO Outlook Express appearing by magic. BUT, rebooting the computer DID start my Outlook Express without any explanation. The second registry fix did not do anything for me.

I also read on the Internet that Norton AV caused this strange behaviour. Norton Internet Security was installed when I started to fix this computer, and was already replaced by me with Avast 5. Still, I had Norton Utilities 14 still running, so to be sure I removed that one too. It did not solve it. So I ran Norton Removal / Cleanup tool to get rid of ALL norton AV related. Still; OE starts automatically : (

Time for a new approach, I installed "Remove outlook Express" (http://www.product-key.com/remove-outlook-express.htm). This program is NOT free, it costs $4. If this is not convenient for you, please check here: http://astalavista.box.sk/cgi-bin/robot?srch=Remove+Outlook+Express+v1.0+by+FOFF&submit=+search+ .

This tool DID remove Outlook Express for me.

I wish I could explain what is happening with that freaky Outlook Express that keeps automatically starting when Windows does, without any startup entries. It's a kinda magic ; -/

I hope this post will help...

Peace!

Devvie

~~~ devnullius(a)googlewave.com ~~~

Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore persevare
------
All spelling mistakes are my own and may only be distributed under the GNU General Public License! - (? 95-1 by Coredump; 2-10 by DevNullius)

GordonJa wrote:

Disable Outlook Express
14-Jul-07

Each time I log onto the Internet Outlook Express opens automatically. I do
not wish to remove it but would like to prevent it opening automatically as
at the moment I have no use for it, but may do in the future.

I have Windows XP

Many thanks

On Saturday, July 14, 2007 5:34 AM
GordonJa wrote:

Disable Outlook Express
Each time I log onto the Internet Outlook Express opens automatically. I do
not wish to remove it but would like to prevent it opening automatically as
at the moment I have no use for it, but may do in the future.

I have Windows XP

Many thanks

On Saturday, July 14, 2007 9:09 AM
Malke wrote:

Re: Disable Outlook Express
GordonJar wrote:

Either Outlook Express or something else that requires you to send an
email is set to start with Windows. First look in your Start
Menu>Programs>Startup to see if there is an entry for OE there. If there
is, right-click the entry and then left-click "Delete". This will only
delete the shortcut, not the program.

If you don't see an entry in the Startup folder, use the System
Configuration Utility to determine what is starting with Windows.

Start>Run>msconfig [enter]

This brings up the System Configuration Utility. Look on the Startup tab
and find the probable culprit. Uncheck the box next to its name, Apply
and OK out. You don't need to restart immediately, but the next time you
do you'll get a dialog saying you've used the Utility. Just tick the box
that says in effect, "don't bother me about this again".

Important - Do not use the System Configuration Utility to stop
processes. Instead, use Start>Run>services.msc [enter]

How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

On Saturday, July 14, 2007 10:34 AM
GordonJa wrote:

I looked in startup and there is no OE there.
I looked in startup and there is no OE there.

I ran msconfig and looked in the startup tab. I was unable find any that
requires to send an email.

Thanks Gordon

"Malke" wrote:

On Saturday, July 14, 2007 10:58 AM
Malke wrote:

Re: Disable Outlook Express
GordonJar wrote:

Well Gordon, *something* is calling it. Since I can't see your computer,
you'll need to do some more work to determine what that "something" is.

1. Make sure the computer is virus/malware-free:

2. If the computer is clean, do clean-boot troubleshooting:
Clean boot in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
Clean-boot advanced troubleshooting in Windows XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316434

3. As always, try and answer The First Question Of Troubleshooting: what
changed between the time things worked and the time they didn't?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

On Saturday, July 14, 2007 11:58 AM
Unknown wrote:

In I.E. click on tools---manage add ons---and check if listed there.
In I.E. click on tools---manage add ons---and check if listed there.

On Saturday, July 14, 2007 12:28 PM
GordonJa wrote:

If I run msconfig and work my way one at a time through the programs until I
If I run msconfig and work my way one at a time through the programs until I
find the one responsible am I likely to upset the system and have a major
disaster on my hands ? As I am sure your solution is right. It's just I am
rather thick when it comes to these sort of things.

Thanks

"Malke" wrote:

On Saturday, July 14, 2007 1:25 PM
Malke wrote:

Re: Disable Outlook Express
GordonJar wrote:

You need to look up the things you find in Startup. An easy way to do
this is by Googling the item or you can also look things up at the links
I'll give you below. Don't disable anything you don't understand! The
following links will help you decide if something is necessary, or you
can ask here.

For instance, Outlook Express will not show up as "Outlook Express". It
will show up as "msimn.exe".

http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm - What loads at Startup?
http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm
http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

Repeat warning: Do not disable *Processes* with msconfig.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

On Sunday, July 15, 2007 5:16 AM
GordonJa wrote:

Unfortunately still no result.
Unfortunately still no result. I suspect I will have to leave it, annoying as
it is, as I have insufficient knowledge.

Thankyou anyway for your time and trouble.

"Unknown" wrote:

On Sunday, July 15, 2007 11:37 AM
Unknown wrote:

In control panel---internet options---general tab, what do you have set for a
In control panel---internet options---general tab, what do you have set for
a home page?

On Sunday, July 15, 2007 12:20 PM
GordonJa wrote:

When I conect to the Internet I use BTyahoo and it opens the BTYahoo browser
When I conect to the Internet I use BTyahoo and it opens the BTYahoo browser
in this browser the home page is :-
http://bt.yahoo.com
and Outlook Express opens as well.

I then sometimes open IE and the home page in that is :-

http://login.live.com/login.srf?id=2&svc=mail&cbid=24325&msppjph=1&tw=900&fs=1&lc=2057&_lang=EN
http://www.google.co.uk/

Thankyou

"Unknown" wrote:

On Sunday, July 15, 2007 1:14 PM
Unknown wrote:

I do not use Yahoo, however, I believe this is where your problem lies.
I do not use Yahoo, however, I believe this is where your problem lies. To
test, change the home page to a page you normally visit. Example: Change the
home page to http://www.microsoft.com. Test it. If that doesn't fix it you
can always change it back to what it was.
"GordonJar" <GordonJar(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

On Sunday, July 15, 2007 2:32 PM
GordonJa wrote:

ThankyouI will give that a go.
Thankyou

I will give that a go. I am away from my own computer until next week end so
will try then. When I first got this computer in January I had considerable
problems with compatibility between BtYahoo and IE , everthing locking etc.
perhaps it's a continuation of that.

"Unknown" wrote:

On Monday, July 16, 2007 10:00 AM
Unknown wrote:

Since Internet Explorer is backed up by Microsoft and is virtually trouble
Since Internet Explorer is backed up by Microsoft and is virtually trouble
free why use BtYahoo? My ISP also has their own browser but I refuse to use
it. Look for any email settings in BtYahoo.

On Friday, July 20, 2007 5:06 PM
Unknown wrote:

One other item, In control panel--internet options---programs tab---remove
One other item, In control panel--internet options---programs tab---remove
Outlook Express if listed there as your e-mail program.

On Sunday, July 22, 2007 11:56 AM
GordonJa wrote:

Thanks for the help I have finally found it.
Thanks for the help I have finally found it. It was hidden away (Thats my
excuse and I am sticking to it.) in the dial up program of BTYahoo.

"Unknown" wrote:

On Sunday, July 22, 2007 2:40 PM
Unknown wrote:

You needn't ever give an excuse. These PC's can be very complex.
You needn't ever give an excuse. These PC's can be very complex. Very happy
you got it fixed.

On Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:20 AM
veena almeida wrote:

problem
Each time start the computer outlook Express opens automatically. I do
not wish to remove it but would like to prevent it opening automatically as
at the moment I have no use for it, but may do in the future.

On Wednesday, January 27, 2010 11:12 AM
Tom J wrote:

veena almeida wrote:<http://forums.pcworld.com/index.php?
veena almeida wrote:

<http://forums.pcworld.com/index.php?/topic/26748-removing-outlook-express-from-startup/>

On Thursday, January 28, 2010 2:01 AM
Hot-text wrote:

Go to microsoft.public.windowsxp.
Go to microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics

Good help there for I send a Follow up to it for you

On Thursday, January 28, 2010 2:10 AM
Hot-text wrote:

Tom J he said ::::: do not wish to remove it!
Tom J he said ::::: do not wish to remove it!

On Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:06 AM
Peter Foldes wrote:

This is microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics.
This is microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics. What have you been smoking , Besides the
OP is basing everything on 3 year old posts

--
Peter

On Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:13 AM
Robert Aldwinckle wrote:

(cross-post added to OE.General)http://www.microsoft.
(cross-post added to OE.General)

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=&cr=&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics&p=1&tid=ef186a51-31ca-4db5-a58e-0e06929a7f11&mid=734bc970-445f-4488-bf28-7ac76db564d5

Hot-text,

I assume you meant to cross-post to OE and hit IE6 by mistake? ; )

FollowUp-To set to eliminate IE6.Browser.

BTW good link. ; )

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
---

On Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:20 AM
Tom J wrote:

Iknow what he said!!
Iknow what he said!! He said he did not want it to open on start-up
READ THE LINK I GAVE!!!!

Hot-text wrote:

On Thursday, January 28, 2010 1:09 PM
Jolly Polly wrote:

Peter Foldes wrote:LOL I did have a look at which group I was reading myself
Peter Foldes wrote:
LOL I did have a look at which group I was reading myself

On Thursday, January 28, 2010 2:39 PM
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

Please do not pollute OE General with that troll's blither. Thank you.
Please do not pollute OE General with that troll's blither. Thank you.

Robert Aldwinckle wrote:

On Thursday, January 28, 2010 3:30 PM
Hot-text wrote:

And you Said::::Tom JMemberGroup: Members Posts: 17 Joined: 23-December 07
And you Said::::Tom J

Member

Group: Members Posts: 17 Joined: 23-December 07 Posted 30 January 2008 -
10:56 AM

Some time ago my Dell 8250 computer running Windows XP was "adjusted" so
that Outlook Express 6 would open automatically on start up. This was done
by a 'wandering minstrel' that I can no longer reach. At the time it was
useful and efficient and saved time.

NOW, I am considering moving to Web Mail, and so this "feature" is a
problem.

1. Could someone explain to me how I can remove Outlook Express from start
up so that it will not interfere with Yahoo Mail. At the same time I would
like to keep it available in case I need it again.

2. A related question... how can I easily move my file folders and saved
emails from Outlook Express to Webmail. ?

Thank you in advance for considering my problem'

Cheers,

Zinfan

0 Back to top
MultiQuote

Moderator

Group: Moderators Posts: 12,259 Joined: 19-February 07
Location:Philadelphia, PA Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:38 PM

Hi Zinfan and welcome to PCWorld. :-)

First, just a few points:

- I have changed your Discussion title to give a clearer indication of your
question. For future reference, please be as descriptive as possible in both
the heading of your Discussion as well as the post itself.

- When submitting Discussions, please do not put two questions, even though
they may be related, within the same Discussion. If the problems are more
involved, one issue may get lost or forgotten.

- Since your concern has to do with emails, I have moved this Discussion
from the Windows Community into the Web Browsing & Email Community

Now, on to your question:

1) I do not believe there is a clearcut answer within Outlook Express
itself. That being the case, you can open up the msconfig function and
disable Outlook Express from starting when you turn on your computer. Please
follow these steps:

On Thursday, January 28, 2010 4:29 PM
Hot-text wrote:

If it was not for us blithers ....
If it was not for us blithers .... you would not be able to LOOL PA Bear
Yes dressed foolishly to entertain ... I do some time but in good fun.
But a troll ,,,,, I am not here to to bewitch no one.

And yes Robert Aldwinckle!

I hit IE6 by mistake >>

PA Bear you are 99.98% Right for we all make mistake some times!
Keep the good work
For I like it when you see my mistake for you always give me Good
INFO...Bear

On Thursday, January 28, 2010 4:35 PM
Peter Foldes wrote:

Hot_TextCan you pleaser stop polluting these MS servers with your gibberish
Hot_Text

Can you pleaser stop polluting these MS servers with your gibberish and trolling

--
Peter

On Thursday, January 28, 2010 4:59 PM
Hot-text wrote:

Requests for assistance by email Peter Foldes if you not a trolling!
Requests for assistance by email Peter Foldes if you not a trolling!

Cut microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser

On Friday, January 29, 2010 12:51 AM
ANONYMOU S wrote:

Who the f*u*c*k* are you?
Who the f*u*c*k* are you?

On Friday, January 29, 2010 9:43 AM
Hot-text wrote:

I not Anonymousso look me upput ( hot text ) in Yahoo Search I the first one
I not Anonymous
so look me up
put ( hot text ) in Yahoo Search I the first one that come up, not the
Sponsored Results, But the first !!
and I need to up date it for my Server not on XP not more, but back to
Win98.....

Why you Anonymous ?
put ( Anonymous ) in Yahoo Search and the first that come is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymous_(group)

Anonymous has no leader or controlling party, and relies on the collective
power of its individual participants acting in such a way that the net
effect benefits the group

This group is for Microsoft and HOTMAIL

LINQ With Strings
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/03afdcf3-7b60-47db-adb9-db7fe2c6ab8c/linq-with-strings.aspx