From: richard on
Hi all,

Could anyone clarify how the Delete Subfolders and Files permission
works?

Testing this on xp sp3 doesn't work as I'd expect:

UserA owns FolderA, and on that folder they have the 'Delete
Subfolders and Files' permission.

Inside FolderA is FolderB, owned by UserB. UserB has taken away all
rights from UserA to do anything with FolderB, including inherited
rights.

UserB creates FileB inside FolderB.

Now, UserA can see FileB inside FolderB, but cannot delete it.

Is that really the way it's supposed to behave?

Regards
Richard
From: Bruce Chambers on
richard(a)tortoise.demon.co.uk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Could anyone clarify how the Delete Subfolders and Files permission
> works?
>
> Testing this on xp sp3 doesn't work as I'd expect:
>
> UserA owns FolderA, and on that folder they have the 'Delete
> Subfolders and Files' permission.
>
> Inside FolderA is FolderB, owned by UserB. UserB has taken away all
> rights from UserA to do anything with FolderB, including inherited
> rights.
>
> UserB creates FileB inside FolderB.
>
> Now, UserA can see FileB inside FolderB, but cannot delete it.
>
> Is that really the way it's supposed to behave?
>
> Regards
> Richard

Yes.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
From: richard on
On Mon, 31 May 2010 15:33:57 -0600, Bruce Chambers
<bchambers(a)cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

>richard(a)tortoise.demon.co.uk wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Could anyone clarify how the Delete Subfolders and Files permission
>> works?
>>
>> Testing this on xp sp3 doesn't work as I'd expect:
>>
>> UserA owns FolderA, and on that folder they have the 'Delete
>> Subfolders and Files' permission.
>>
>> Inside FolderA is FolderB, owned by UserB. UserB has taken away all
>> rights from UserA to do anything with FolderB, including inherited
>> rights.
>>
>> UserB creates FileB inside FolderB.
>>
>> Now, UserA can see FileB inside FolderB, but cannot delete it.
>>
>> Is that really the way it's supposed to behave?
>>
>> Regards
>> Richard
>

> Yes.

Well, thanks for your reply Bruce, but that's not what it says in the
xp help:

'Delete Subfolders and Files
Allows or denies deleting subfolders and files, even if the Delete
permission has not been granted on the subfolder or file. (applies to
folders)'

That's exactly the situation here. UserB has not granted permission to
UserA to delete FileB, and indeed he can't, despite having 'Delete
Subfolders & Files' permission on a containing folder.

Is the help wrong, or is there some other way of interpreting what it
says?

Regards
Richard

From: Bruce Chambers on
richard(a)tortoise.demon.co.uk wrote:
> On Mon, 31 May 2010 15:33:57 -0600, Bruce Chambers
> <bchambers(a)cable0ne.n3t> wrote:
>
>> richard(a)tortoise.demon.co.uk wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Could anyone clarify how the Delete Subfolders and Files permission
>>> works?
>>>
>>> Testing this on xp sp3 doesn't work as I'd expect:
>>>
>>> UserA owns FolderA, and on that folder they have the 'Delete
>>> Subfolders and Files' permission.
>>>
>>> Inside FolderA is FolderB, owned by UserB. UserB has taken away all
>>> rights from UserA to do anything with FolderB, including inherited
>>> rights.
>>>
>>> UserB creates FileB inside FolderB.
>>>
>>> Now, UserA can see FileB inside FolderB, but cannot delete it.
>>>
>>> Is that really the way it's supposed to behave?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Richard
>>
>> Yes.
>

> Well, thanks for your reply Bruce, but that's not what it says in the
> xp help:
>
> 'Delete Subfolders and Files
> Allows or denies deleting subfolders and files, even if the Delete
> permission has not been granted on the subfolder or file. (applies to
> folders)'
>
> That's exactly the situation here. UserB has not granted permission to
> UserA to delete FileB, and indeed he can't, despite having 'Delete
> Subfolders & Files' permission on a containing folder.
>
> Is the help wrong, or is there some other way of interpreting what it
> says?
>
> Regards
> Richard

You said that "UserB has taken away all rights from UserA to do
anything with FolderB, including inherited rights." Therefore, what
your seeing is exactly what it should be.

From: richard on
On Mon, 31 May 2010 17:04:53 -0600, Bruce Chambers
<bchambers(a)cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

>richard(a)tortoise.demon.co.uk wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 May 2010 15:33:57 -0600, Bruce Chambers
>> <bchambers(a)cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

>>> Yes.
>>

>> Well, thanks for your reply Bruce, but that's not what it says in the
>> xp help:
>>
>> 'Delete Subfolders and Files
>> Allows or denies deleting subfolders and files, even if the Delete
>> permission has not been granted on the subfolder or file. (applies to
>> folders)'
>>
>> That's exactly the situation here. UserB has not granted permission to
>> UserA to delete FileB, and indeed he can't, despite having 'Delete
>> Subfolders & Files' permission on a containing folder.
>>
>> Is the help wrong, or is there some other way of interpreting what it
>> says?
>>
>> Regards
>> Richard
>>

> You said that "UserB has taken away all rights from UserA to do
>anything with FolderB, including inherited rights." Therefore, what
>your seeing is exactly what it should be.

I was supposing that if UserA had the 'Delete Subfolders and Files'
permission on FolderA, then that would be an irrevocable right they
would hold for any files or folders, nested at any depth, within
FolderA.

I though that this would be useful to prevent a situation where UserA
finds they cannot delete a folder they own because another user has
created files or folders within it and taken away UserA's rights to
delete those nested files or folders.

Maybe it just doesn't work that way....

Regards
Richard