From: William B. Lurie on
When I brought the system out of hibernation this morning,
I found the System using 100% of CPU resources for about
15 minutes, making it almost impossible to do anything else
at the same time. Never saw this before. Any advice, other
than go have a cup of coffee and come back? Event viewer/log
showed no clue other than "WIA entering running state"......
From: Elmo on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> When I brought the system out of hibernation this morning,
> I found the System using 100% of CPU resources for about
> 15 minutes, making it almost impossible to do anything else
> at the same time. Never saw this before. Any advice, other
> than go have a cup of coffee and come back? Event viewer/log
> showed no clue other than "WIA entering running state"......

http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/ccsvchst/

Maybe Norton was doing a scan.. was there much hd activity?

--

Joe =o)
From: Daave on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> When I brought the system out of hibernation this morning,
> I found the System using 100% of CPU resources for about
> 15 minutes, making it almost impossible to do anything else
> at the same time. Never saw this before. Any advice, other
> than go have a cup of coffee and come back? Event viewer/log
> showed no clue other than "WIA entering running state"......

I'm not sure if WIA is relevant or not, but it wouldn't hurt to disable
it to see what effect that might have.

Also, have you ever used Process Explorer to determine which sub-process
is calling upon the System process?

Is this behavior brand new? If so, what have you done recently that
might have caused it? (Examples are the installation of new programs,
updates, or devices. Obviously, malware needs to be ruled out.)

Finally, other than when coming out of hibernation, does your PC ever
exhibit this particular symtpom (System using 100% of CPU) any other
time? Once the 15 minutes pass, does your PC perform well?

Oops! I just noticed your Subject Line! In the future, this information
should also be in the body of your post! That process belongs to Norton,
which is a well-known resource hog. Have you considered uninstalling
Norton and switching to a superior program that uses fewer resources and
causes fewer conflicts? I personally recommend Avira Antivir.

From: William B. Lurie on
Elmo wrote:
> William B. Lurie wrote:
>> When I brought the system out of hibernation this morning,
>> I found the System using 100% of CPU resources for about
>> 15 minutes, making it almost impossible to do anything else
>> at the same time. Never saw this before. Any advice, other
>> than go have a cup of coffee and come back? Event viewer/log
>> showed no clue other than "WIA entering running state"......
>
> http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/ccsvchst/
>
> Maybe Norton was doing a scan.. was there much hd activity?

I have Norton set to do *no* scans except when I specifically
request one. Yes, the HD light was flickering.
From: William B. Lurie on
Daave wrote:
> William B. Lurie wrote:
>> When I brought the system out of hibernation this morning,
>> I found the System using 100% of CPU resources for about
>> 15 minutes, making it almost impossible to do anything else
>> at the same time. Never saw this before. Any advice, other
>> than go have a cup of coffee and come back? Event viewer/log
>> showed no clue other than "WIA entering running state"......
>
> I'm not sure if WIA is relevant or not, but it wouldn't hurt to disable
> it to see what effect that might have.

I'll try that. But this is entirely new behavior.

> Also, have you ever used Process Explorer to determine which sub-process
> is calling upon the System process?

No, nobody ever led me to that. And please note that SvcHost was listed
with System as having called it, not Compaq-Owner, so I don't believe
it was Norton-related.

> Is this behavior brand new? If so, what have you done recently that
> might have caused it? (Examples are the installation of new programs,
> updates, or devices. Obviously, malware needs to be ruled out.)

Brand new, and nothing recently installed.

> Finally, other than when coming out of hibernation, does your PC ever
> exhibit this particular symtpom (System using 100% of CPU) any other
> time? Once the 15 minutes pass, does your PC perform well?

No, it's new, and I had no choice but to wait until whatever
it was doing, it was finished doing it.

> Oops! I just noticed your Subject Line! In the future, this information
> should also be in the body of your post! That process belongs to Norton,
> which is a well-known resource hog. Have you considered uninstalling
> Norton and switching to a superior program that uses fewer resources and
> causes fewer conflicts? I personally recommend Avira Antivir.

Why do you think that process 'belongs to Norton'. when the *system* was
listed as having invoked it? And yes, I know how hoggish Norton can be,
but on those occasions when it is, I can identify it as having been
called in Task Manager. And over the years, I've lived through all of
Symantec's intrusive workings, and have stayed with them while they grew
until now they are so helpful whenever I call them, that I wouldn't even
consider switching.