From: Unknown on
Norton strikes again.

From: William B. Lurie on
Norton has been a whipping-boy for years, and for
years they *earned* it. But I have never had a virus or worm
or anything else that invaded me, and I credit Norton with that.
And their on-line chat tech service is superb.

Th glitch I'm complaining about was shown on Task Manager
as having SYSTEM as its host, and all Norton programs
show Compaq-Owner as host. This one even denied me permission
to end it.

From: Unknown on
What about the last problem of failing to hibernate in 2 hours?

From: Daave on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> Daave wrote:
>> William B. Lurie wrote:
>>> When I brought the system out of hibernation this morning,
>>> I found the System using 100% of CPU resources for about
>>> 15 minutes, making it almost impossible to do anything else
>>> at the same time. Never saw this before. Any advice, other
>>> than go have a cup of coffee and come back? Event viewer/log
>>> showed no clue other than "WIA entering running state"......
>>
>> I'm not sure if WIA is relevant or not, but it wouldn't hurt to
>> disable it to see what effect that might have.
>
> I'll try that. But this is entirely new behavior.
>>
>> Also, have you ever used Process Explorer to determine which
>> sub-process is calling upon the System process?
>
> No, nobody ever led me to that. And please note that SvcHost was
> listed with System as having called it, not Compaq-Owner, so I don't
> believe it was Norton-related.

There is some confusion here!

What is the name of the subprocess?

SvcHost

or

ccSvcHost

or

ccSvcHst

I am sure Norton latches onto SYSTEM as well. Either uninstall Norton as
earlier suggested or post to a Norton forum where others who have
experienced the same problem can guide you with regard to changing a
specific setting. Or contact their support.

From: Unknown on
PS-----I have never had a virus or worm that invaded me, AND I do NOT use
Norton.
Why are you giving credit to Norton?