From: William B. Lurie on
That problem, once we solved it, has not returned.

From: William B. Lurie on
Daave wrote:
> William B. Lurie wrote:
>> Daave wrote:
>>> I'm not sure if WIA is relevant or not, but it wouldn't hurt to
>>> disable it to see what effect that might have.
>> I'll try that. But this is entirely new behavior.
>>> Also, have you ever used Process Explorer to determine which
>>> sub-process is calling upon the System process?
>> No, nobody ever led me to that. And please note that SvcHost was
>> listed with System as having called it, not Compaq-Owner, so I don't
>> believe it was Norton-related.
>
> There is some confusion here!
>
> What is the name of the subprocess?
>
> SvcHost
>
> or
>
> ccSvcHost
>
> or

It is this one:

ccSvcHst<<<<<<<<<<

> I am sure Norton latches onto SYSTEM as well. Either uninstall Norton as
> earlier suggested or post to a Norton forum where others who have
> experienced the same problem can guide you with regard to changing a
> specific setting. Or contact their support.

You may recall that I worked with Norton last time around, and they
showed me how to make sure that Norton Anti-Virus *never* intrudes
or does a scan all by itself. As for Norton latching onto SYSTEM,
I didn't think so, but you say you're *sure*......Let's see what
other ideas come out, before I tackle Norton.

From: William B. Lurie on
Unknown wrote:
> PS-----I have never had a virus or worm that invaded me, AND I do NOT use
> Norton.
> Why are you giving credit to Norton?

Well, I do because they have been, going back into Windows 3.1
days, been the only anti-virus software I've used, and I'm
sure that others can do it well also. But I credit their installed
software as being 100% effective at keeping me virus-free.

From: Daave on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> Daave wrote:
>> William B. Lurie wrote:
>>> I'll try that. But this is entirely new behavior.
>>> No, nobody ever led me to that. And please note that SvcHost was
>>> listed with System as having called it, not Compaq-Owner, so I don't
>>> believe it was Norton-related.
>>
>> There is some confusion here!
>>
>> What is the name of the subprocess?
>>
>> SvcHost
>>
>> or
>>
>> ccSvcHost
>>
>> or
>>

> It is this one:
>
> ccSvcHst<<<<<<<<<<

Well, that's a Norton process, my friend!

>> I am sure Norton latches onto SYSTEM as well. Either uninstall
>> Norton as earlier suggested or post to a Norton forum where others
>> who have experienced the same problem can guide you with regard to
>> changing a specific setting. Or contact their support.
>
> You may recall that I worked with Norton last time around, and they
> showed me how to make sure that Norton Anti-Virus *never* intrudes
> or does a scan all by itself.

From what I can tell, it's intruding again. :-)

> As for Norton latching onto SYSTEM,
> I didn't think so, but you say you're *sure*......Let's see what
> other ideas come out, before I tackle Norton.

I'm sure because of others' experiences. I'm sure you'll reach the same
conclusion if you Google the terms ccsvchst and cpu. First hit:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/ccsvchst-exe-cpu-usage-Issue/m-p/2888

Some have reported success by uninstalling Norton, using the removal
tool you need to download from their website, and reinstalling the
latest version. Then again, if it were me, I wouldn't do that last step.
:-)

From: William B. Lurie on
WOW! That does put the monkey right back onto Norton's
back, and I'm going to get with them on it. Thanks for setting it
straight. I'll report back again.