From: Nobody on
"Peter T" <peter_t(a)discussions> wrote in message
> Nobody,
> I've looked at the Info-Zip site, seems like a massive learning curve to
> incorporate the relevant C source into VB, unless I'm missing something. I
> suppose the simpler way would be to Shell, but I can't find the relevant
> exe or even any instructions.
>
> Ideally would much prefer not to have to distribute anything. I sort of
> feel the objective should be simple but seems it isn't (:-

See "Visual Basic 5/6 code for the Infozip DLLs" sample at this link:

http://home.modemss.brisnet.org.au/~mlevoi/dos.html

It may not do exactly what you want. I don't know if there is a command to
delete specific files, but you can UnZip/Delete/ReZip. The DLL is a standard
Windows DLL that doesn't require registration. Just put it in the same
folder as the EXE. If you have trouble with the DLL not being found when
running in the IDE, try adding these lines to Form_Load:

ChDrive App.Path
ChDir App.Path

From: Peter T on
"Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> wrote in message
> "Peter T" <peter_t(a)discussions> wrote in message
>> Nobody,
>> I've looked at the Info-Zip site, seems like a massive learning curve to
>> incorporate the relevant C source into VB, unless I'm missing something.
>> I suppose the simpler way would be to Shell, but I can't find the
>> relevant exe or even any instructions.
>>
>> Ideally would much prefer not to have to distribute anything. I sort of
>> feel the objective should be simple but seems it isn't (:-
>
> See "Visual Basic 5/6 code for the Infozip DLLs" sample at this link:
>
> http://home.modemss.brisnet.org.au/~mlevoi/dos.html
>
> It may not do exactly what you want. I don't know if there is a command to
> delete specific files, but you can UnZip/Delete/ReZip. The DLL is a
> standard Windows DLL that doesn't require registration. Just put it in the
> same folder as the EXE. If you have trouble with the DLL not being found
> when running in the IDE, try adding these lines to Form_Load:
>
> ChDrive App.Path
> ChDir App.Path

The download includes two VB projects, to unzip and zip respectively. They
require unzip.dll & zip.dll which I couldn't find in the Info-Zip site but
got from one of those dreaded download sites, fwiw http://www.dlldump.com/

It all looks like it should do the job. Ran the vbunzip.vbp and the form
displays a list of the zip file contents. Looking promising.

In the form code -
uExtractList = 1 ' 1 = List Contents Of Zip 0 = Extract

I changed uExtractList to 0 to extract the files - crash - every time. There
are other flags and variables to extract to the default directory or
elsewhere, tried various ways but crashes every time.

There's probably some simple explanation (like me doing something stupid),
but it might take a while to find it!

On a different tack, I notice my system32 contains zipfldr.dll. Can't seem
to find any hint if it might be useful.

Thanks,
Peter T

From: Nobody on
> "Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> wrote in message
>> "Peter T" <peter_t(a)discussions> wrote in message
>>> Nobody,
>>> I've looked at the Info-Zip site, seems like a massive learning curve to
>>> incorporate the relevant C source into VB, unless I'm missing something.
>>> I suppose the simpler way would be to Shell, but I can't find the
>>> relevant exe or even any instructions.
>>>
>>> Ideally would much prefer not to have to distribute anything. I sort of
>>> feel the objective should be simple but seems it isn't (:-
>>
>> See "Visual Basic 5/6 code for the Infozip DLLs" sample at this link:
>>
>> http://home.modemss.brisnet.org.au/~mlevoi/dos.html
>>
>> It may not do exactly what you want. I don't know if there is a command
>> to delete specific files, but you can UnZip/Delete/ReZip. The DLL is a
>> standard Windows DLL that doesn't require registration. Just put it in
>> the same folder as the EXE. If you have trouble with the DLL not being
>> found when running in the IDE, try adding these lines to Form_Load:
>>
>> ChDrive App.Path
>> ChDir App.Path
>
> The download includes two VB projects, to unzip and zip respectively. They
> require unzip.dll & zip.dll which I couldn't find in the Info-Zip site but
> got from one of those dreaded download sites, fwiw http://www.dlldump.com/

The DLL's are in the same ZIP file in the sample above. They are "hidden" in
this subfolder:

\infozip\Wiz\VisualC\Wiz_and_DLLs\Release

From: Peter T on

> "Peter T" <peter_t(a)discussions> wrote in message

>>> See "Visual Basic 5/6 code for the Infozip DLLs" sample at this link:
>>>
>>> http://home.modemss.brisnet.org.au/~mlevoi/dos.html
>>>
>>> It may not do exactly what you want. I don't know if there is a command
>>> to delete specific files, but you can UnZip/Delete/ReZip. The DLL is a
>>> standard Windows DLL that doesn't require registration. Just put it in
>>> the same folder as the EXE. If you have trouble with the DLL not being
>>> found when running in the IDE, try adding these lines to Form_Load:
>>>
>>> ChDrive App.Path
>>> ChDir App.Path
>>
>> The download includes two VB projects, to unzip and zip respectively.
>> They require unzip.dll & zip.dll which I couldn't find in the Info-Zip
>> site but got from one of those dreaded download sites, fwiw
>> http://www.dlldump.com/
>
> The DLL's are in the same ZIP file in the sample above. They are "hidden"
> in this subfolder:
>
> \infozip\Wiz\VisualC\Wiz_and_DLLs\Release

Thanks!
Looks like there was something corrupt about the dll I downloaded, this one
is works fine, at least I can now unzip. (The other one is same version but
a tad bigger, hmm).

I can also zip too, getting there! Haven't quite figured out how to zip the
relative path's only, at the moment can only seem to zip the full paths.

Regards,
Peter T

From: Saga on

"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> "Peter T" <peter_t(a)discussions> wrote:
>
>>So how do I delete myFile.ext that's zipped in myZip.zip
>
> Note that Winzip actually makes a copy of the zip file without the
> deleted file and then deletes and renames the old file. Whether
> utilities such as Info-zip work in a better fashion I have no idea.

There is lots going on inside a typical ZIP file. It is not possible
to easily delete a compressed file from the archived set. To remove
a file from a ZIP file, the files are extracted and a new ZIP is recreated
without the deleted file. Perhaps some utilities may have an alternative
process, but rebuilding ZIP files is one way to do it. Regards, Saga