From: Bilky White on
Linux newbie here. I installed Ubuntu on my wife's laptop and, like an
idiot, I entered her account details first instead of setting up an overall
admin account. After installing I created an admin account thinking that
I'd be able to delete the original account and re-create it. It allowed me
to delete the user account via the Admin/Users and Groups menu item but if I
try to recreate it I get an error telling me that it already exists.

I've tried this

sudo userdel -r <username>

but that returns a "<username> does not exist" error, which doesn't make
sense.

I'm getting the feeling that it might be worth starting the install from
scratch, any opinions or advice?

Many thanks.

From: alexd on
Bilky White wrote:

> I'm getting the feeling that it might be worth starting the install from
> scratch, any opinions or advice?

grep username /etc/password ?

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
09:22:41 up 2 days, 11:34, 1 user, load average: 0.04, 0.10, 0.08

From: Folderol on
On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 09:23:01 +0100
alexd <troffasky(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> Bilky White wrote:
>
> > I'm getting the feeling that it might be worth starting the install from
> > scratch, any opinions or advice?
>
> grep username /etc/password ?

{ahem} passwd

To the O/P
If it's a new install and you've done nothing with it, it
might be simpler and cleaner to just start again and chalk it up to
experience :)

--
Will J G
From: chris on
Folderol wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 09:23:01 +0100
> alexd <troffasky(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Bilky White wrote:
>>
>>> I'm getting the feeling that it might be worth starting the install from
>>> scratch, any opinions or advice?
>> grep username /etc/password ?
>>
> {ahem} passwd
>
> To the O/P
> If it's a new install and you've done nothing with it, it
> might be simpler and cleaner to just start again and chalk it up to
> experience :)

Plus, in Ubuntu it's not strictly necessary to create an admin account.
The first user will already have admin privileges via sudo and AFAIK
subsequent accounts are simply 'user' accounts with no sudo privileges
(by default).

Simply create your account first and then your wife's.
From: Bilky White on
"Folderol" <folderol(a)ukfsn.org> wrote in message
> On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 09:23:01 +0100
> alexd <troffasky(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Bilky White wrote:
>>
>> > I'm getting the feeling that it might be worth starting the install
>> > from
>> > scratch, any opinions or advice?
>>
>> grep username /etc/password ?
>>
> {ahem} passwd
>
> To the O/P
> If it's a new install and you've done nothing with it, it
> might be simpler and cleaner to just start again and chalk it up to
> experience :)

Yeh I think I've made a bit of a hash of it. That's the price of rushing.
I've installed on 3 other machines with no problem. Thanks for responding.