From: Jeffrey on
Hey everyone,

I created a template in PowerPoint 2007 for my research group and included
three new, custom layouts for the kinds of displays my teammates were
assembling slapdash. I provided a demo presentation to them that showed how
every layout (now 14) could be used for our purposes. I was disappointed to
see the following: They would start with the demo, delete the demo slides,
and start over with the title slides. When they did this, the three new,
custom layouts that I added vanished from the list of layouts to select and
from the "Slide Master View."

I'm guessing that once no slides use a custom layout, PowerPoint decides,
for me, that I no longer want to keep the things I spent hours making and
removes it?

I looked into the "Preserve" button, but I think that's for multiple Masters
that go together in one presentation. Even with that, you would still only
have the 11 default layouts unless someone used one of the custom layouts you
gave them. How about a button for "Preserve the selected layout so that it
remains with the presentation even if it is not used."

I hope my description of my problem makes sense. If nothing else, you
letting me know that this is, in fact, a usability flaw in the program will
save me time trying to find a solution.

Thanks for reading!