From: Charliec on
I have the 48X Max CD-RW Drive (Sony CD-RW CRX216E) from Dell in my
desktop. I've run into a few problems with some CDs I'm trying to
Burn (they are rejected). What are the current CDs out there that I
should use with this drive. I'm mostly created backup data CDs and
not doing a lot of rewriting. I have some 4X-10X CD-RW CDs that work
with it, but are these the best I can use with it considering speed,
etc.

Thanks
Charlie
Charliec
From: Ben Myers on
The CRX216E burns at up to 48x, provided your system can feed it data fast
enough.

First, I would be very careful about using CD-RWs. They have the annoying
habit of failing unexpectedly and they are too damned expensive for what they
are. Get some CD-Rs, very inexpensive... Ben Myers

From: Barry Watzman on
First of all, I'd stop using any form of RW (erasable) media. RW media
is expensive (compared to one-time media), slow and worst of all, not
totally stable for long term backups. By definition, this media has to
be capable of being returned to a "blank" state, and sometimes it
happens on it's own, after time, and your data "fades" and is lost.

Also, if you are going to replace the drive, I'd get a DVD. In today's
world, with hard drives up in the 200 to 750GB size range, 650MB isn't much.

As to the drive, you can use any drive, they are all standard. My
preference is Pioneer unless you need "lightscribe", in which case I'd
go with Samsung (now called TSST). A new DVD burner (will burn
EVERYTHING, all forms of both CD & DVD media) is only about $40.