From: Sparky Spartacus on
Steer Clear of Windows Vista Basic
ARTICLE DATE: 02.14.07
By Lance Ulanoff

Windows Vista Home Basic could be the most pointless edition of Windows
that Microsoft has ever released. Let me be clear: I like Windows Vista.
I applaud it, in fact. It's the smartest, easiest-to-use Windows OS yet.
Most of the Vista editions Microsoft is rolling out make good, clean
sense�Business, Premium, even Ultimate, though that name does kind of
box Microsoft in for future versions (could they ever top Ultimate?).

Home Basic, which drops Tablet PC and Windows Media Center integration
along with the Aero interface enhancements, is another story. Here's how
Microsoft described it:

"If you simply want to use your PC for tasks such as surfing the
Internet, corresponding with friends and family using e-mail, or
performing basic document creation and editing tasks, then Windows Vista
Home Basic will deliver a safer, more reliable, and more productive
computing environment."

I'm sorry, but this simply perpetuates the myth that there's such a
thing as simple computing needs. The "surfing the Internet" part is my
favorite. It's as if Microsoft's marketers haven't been online since
2001. Surfing the Internet these days is about as far from basic as you
can get. Web 2.0 has turned many key Web sites into virtual client
applications. Yes, these are lighter than, say, true desktop apps, but
nowhere near as light and simple as the rudimentary HTML-based pages we
recall from the mid-1990s up until, say, 2002.
Joost

It's not just coding that's made Web browsing a more complex
CPU-intensive task. Virtually all popular sites feature video. News
flash, Microsoft: YouTube is perhaps the most popular site on the Web.

Document creation can be a pretty low-stress task, unless you're running
the latest version of Microsoft Office. Most recent editions of this app
suite eat up tons of processes and, of course, can create highly complex
documents. Most adult home users won't tap into this power, but I can
see high school and college students who still live at home creating
pamphlets, newsletters, and other more complex files, many of which will
incorporate graphical elements such as photos. This doesn't sound that
"basic" to me.�Continue reading...

Photos and videos are a major part of virtually every PC user's world.
Microsoft, you should know that. After all, you helped make it happen.
Even our grandparents take digital photos and mail them to loved ones.

What about e-mail? It's a nice, light application, with few resource
needs. Isn't it? Well, maybe 10 years ago. Consumer e-mail boxes are
filled with gigabytes of data, HTML messages and, of course, photos (and
even videos). And say your e-mails are always text-based and you rarely
get much of it; you still can't run e-mail without protection from
viruses and spyware. Each of those apps puts demands on system
components and the operating system itself. Suddenly, basic e-mail is
looking mighty complicated.

So what's the deal with Home Basic? I do notice that it's about $60
cheaper than the more multimedia-capable Premium Edition. And that's the
answer, isn't it? This is for OEMs who want to trim a few bucks off the
price of a PC while still appearing to offer the "latest thing."

This is nothing new. Dell, Gateway, eMachines, HP, and others offer
value PCs by cutting corners that you can't always see or recognize as
detrimental to your computing lives. So a DVD-R becomes a DVD-ROM drive,
or 1GB of memory becomes 512MB, or discrete graphics memory becomes
shared. All of these things can add up to hundreds of dollars in
savings. Vista Home Basic falls right into that same bucket. My guess is
that OEMs demanded this version from Microsoft, and it acquiesced
because it was still smarting from value vendors dropping MS Office in
favor of super-cheap WordPerfect.

So beware, friends, of too-cheap Vista systems. They may be running Home
Basic, and that means they may not be ready to fulfill anyone's
21st-century computing needs.

Copyright (c) 2007 Ziff Davis Media Inc. All Rights Reserved.
From: Ben Myers on
Lance Ulanoff is dead wrong. He has forgotten Microsoft Bob. Windows 1.03
was pretty pointless, too, but that was before Ulanoff was born... Ben Myers

From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> I'm sorry, but this simply perpetuates the myth that there's such a
> thing as simple computing needs.

I disagree. I've seen computers used for nothing but e-mail and web
browsing. I just finished setting up a system not long ago where the owner
does only three things--e-mail, Quicken and web browsing.

Vista Basic meets all of these needs and probably will do so until the end
of the system's useful life.

William

From: Barry Watzman on
Bill,

While you are correct that "Vista Basic meets all of these needs ...",
so does Windows XP.

From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> While you are correct that "Vista Basic meets all of these needs ...",
> so does Windows XP.

Had it been completely up to me, the system would have been running XP. I
had concerns that the (old!) version of Quicken might turn upside down and
die on Vista.

The problem in this case is finding a system with XP on it instead of Vista
at all the usual retail store suspects (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc...). I
don't think either one is still carrying XP-based systems. I suggested
buying from someone who would still offer XP on a system, but this wasn't
accepted.

William

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3