From: PigPOg on
Hi, can anyone help please?

After 18 months, my hard drive failed. I've got all my data backed up
so no problem there. I purchase an 80GB direct replacement which I
have installed. When I boot the PC I get the message: -

No boot device available -
strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility

On pressing F2, the BIOS reports the hard disk as: -

Controller = Serial ATA
Port == SATA-0
Drive ID = ST380819AS
Capacity = 80GB
BIOS = This drive is controlled by the System BIOS

So, I changed the boot order so the CD is accessed first. I try to
load Windows XP Home Edition (I purchased this seperately). After
examing disk configuration I get the message: -

76294 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi
<Setup cannot access this disk>

Can someone advise on what I can do to proceed further? I guess I need
to partition the disk, format and then load the OS but I'm stuck.

Thanks,
Simon
From: WSZsr on
Are you installing the SATA drivers (F6) from the floppy?

From: PigPOg on
Thanks for the reply. My PC doesn't have a floppy drive. When the PC
starts, you only get the option to hit F2 or F12 (BIOS access). If you
don't press either, I just get the message below, No boot device
available.

From: Ben Myers on
I recently set up a Dimension 4700 from scratch with a fresh unformatted SATA
drive. I used the Dell-supplied "reinstallation CD" for XP Pro with Service
Pack 2, which is really a vanilla Windows XP Pro install CD with a few Dell
additions. At least with the XP Pro SP2 CD provided by Dell, getting the
drivers from floppy is not required. The install went exactly as it would have
gone if the hard drive had been an older PATA.

I have not done the same yet with the Dell XP Home SP2 CD, so I cannot speak for
it.

The 5150C is new enough that the reinstall CD shipped with it (if ordered) would
be XP with SP2. I would request the same from Dell in the UK, paying for it, if
you do not have one already. I think that Dell slip-streamed the SATA drivers
onto its versions of SP2.

I cannot determine if the 5150C has a floppy connector on the motherboard, but
if it does, another solution would be to install a floppy drive and use the
supplementary SATA drivers which can probably be found on the Intel web site.

.... Ben Myers

From: Christopher Muto on
since you don't seem to have a dell branded windows xp cd you do not seem to
have the necessary hard disk controller drivers to recognize the hard disk
when you boot from the windows cd. you can introduce these drivers by
obtaining them from support.dell.com and selecting downloads, and entering
your system tag number. once downloaded you can put them on a floppy disk
or a usb drive and then next time you boot from the windows cd you press f6
when prompted and tell it the location where the hard disk driver can be
found. hope that makes it clear. good luck.

ps, if you or a friend has a dell windows xp cd it would be easier to just
boot and install from that cd. otherwise you might be looking at purchasing
a usb type floppy drive or a usb thumb drive to rebuild the software on this
system.

> Thanks for the reply. My PC doesn't have a floppy drive. When the PC
> starts, you only get the option to hit F2 or F12 (BIOS access). If you
> don't press either, I just get the message below, No boot device
> available.
>

> On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 11:02:35 GMT, "WSZsr" <nospam(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Are you installing the SATA drivers (F6) from the floppy?
>>
>>"PigPOg" <simon(a)capella.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Hi, can anyone help please?
>>>
>>> After 18 months, my hard drive failed. I've got all my data backed up
>>> so no problem there. I purchase an 80GB direct replacement which I
>>> have installed. When I boot the PC I get the message: -
>>>
>>> No boot device available -
>>> strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility
>>>
>>> On pressing F2, the BIOS reports the hard disk as: -
>>>
>>> Controller = Serial ATA
>>> Port == SATA-0
>>> Drive ID = ST380819AS
>>> Capacity = 80GB
>>> BIOS = This drive is controlled by the System BIOS
>>>
>>> So, I changed the boot order so the CD is accessed first. I try to
>>> load Windows XP Home Edition (I purchased this seperately). After
>>> examing disk configuration I get the message: -
>>>
>>> 76294 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi
>>> <Setup cannot access this disk>
>>>
>>> Can someone advise on what I can do to proceed further? I guess I need
>>> to partition the disk, format and then load the OS but I'm stuck.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Simon