From: PigPOg on
Thanks for the advice given but I'm still having problems. I've loaded
that latest iastor.sys on to a floppy, start XP setup and press F6
when prompted to load the third party driver - which it appears to do.
XP continues then I get this message again...

76294 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi
<Setup cannot access this disk>

I really can't think what to do next other than locate a reliable
repair centre in the UK.

Very frustrating.
Simon
From: Christopher Muto on
i think you should first try to contact dell about getting a windows xp cd.
they may provide one to you for free or little cost. their xp cd will have
the drivers built in and avoid the problems that you are experiancing. or
you could try to source one on ebay or from friends/family who happen to
have a dell pc. you do want to have the same version of windows that is
detailed on the windows license sticker on the machine (pro, home, media
center edition) so that the serial number will work should it be necessary
to enter it.

From: PigPOg on
Tried several times to contact Dell, no response to emails and
telephone contact is impossible - kept on hold for ages.

Simon

From: PigPOg on
On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 10:42:02 +0100, PigPOg <simon(a)capella.co.uk>
wrote:

>Hi, can anyone help please?
>
>After 18 months, my hard drive failed. I've got all my data backed up
>so no problem there. I purchase an 80GB direct replacement which I
>have installed. When I boot the PC I get the message: -
>
>No boot device available -
>strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility
>
>On pressing F2, the BIOS reports the hard disk as: -
>
>Controller = Serial ATA
>Port == SATA-0
>Drive ID = ST380819AS
>Capacity = 80GB
>BIOS = This drive is controlled by the System BIOS
>
>So, I changed the boot order so the CD is accessed first. I try to
>load Windows XP Home Edition (I purchased this seperately). After
>examing disk configuration I get the message: -
>
>76294 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi
><Setup cannot access this disk>
>
>Can someone advise on what I can do to proceed further? I guess I need
>to partition the disk, format and then load the OS but I'm stuck.
>
>Thanks,
>Simon

Just to follow up, I've got a feeling my new HD is defective. I've
just managed to run the latest version of DELLDIAG; the Device Quick
Check passes OK but the HD Read Test fails: -

0F00:0244
Msg. Block at 0
.... and at other locations such as 4271639

and the Seek Test also fails at Msg. Block 0 (and others) while
reporting error code 0F00:0444

I can only assume the HD is stuffed. Anyone agree?

Cheers,
Simon
From: pen on
> On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 10:42:02 +0100, PigPOg <simon(a)capella.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi, can anyone help please?
>>
>>After 18 months, my hard drive failed. I've got all my data backed
>>up
>>so no problem there. I purchase an 80GB direct replacement which I
>>have installed. When I boot the PC I get the message: -
>>
>>No boot device available -
>>strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility
>>
>>On pressing F2, the BIOS reports the hard disk as: -
>>
>>Controller = Serial ATA
>>Port == SATA-0
>>Drive ID = ST380819AS
>>Capacity = 80GB
>>BIOS = This drive is controlled by the System BIOS
>>
>>So, I changed the boot order so the CD is accessed first. I try to
>>load Windows XP Home Edition (I purchased this seperately). After
>>examing disk configuration I get the message: -
>>
>>76294 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi
>><Setup cannot access this disk>
>>
>>Can someone advise on what I can do to proceed further? I guess I
>>need
>>to partition the disk, format and then load the OS but I'm stuck.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Simon
>
> Just to follow up, I've got a feeling my new HD is defective. I've
> just managed to run the latest version of DELLDIAG; the Device Quick
> Check passes OK but the HD Read Test fails: -
>
> 0F00:0244
> Msg. Block at 0
> ... and at other locations such as 4271639
>
> and the Seek Test also fails at Msg. Block 0 (and others) while
> reporting error code 0F00:0444
>
> I can only assume the HD is stuffed. Anyone agree?
>
> Cheers,
> Simon

Definitely. Installing a new drive shouldn't ever be this much grief
unless it's bad.