From: MJMIII on
Short story made long...

I have an XPS 630i just under a year. It came with an HL-DT-ST-BD-RE BH20N
SCSI DVD burner. Over the last couple months 50% of burns failed unless I
burned at 2x. All types of burning. Also, it's no longer recognized as
Lightscribe, so I contacted Dell support through email and received the
standard form letter stating everything I should try to determine if the
drive is bad or not. Instead I installed an older SCSI drive I had and it
works flawlessly, so I replied to Akbar's email and in return I received an
email stating there's nothing wrong with the BlueRay burner.

Now before I go ballistic on the phone, has anyone had success through
email? I hate talking to Dell's support staff. It'll take me 10 calls
before I get someone who understands English, and by that time I'll have no
control over what comes out of my mouth. <EG>

--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

From: RnR on
On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 16:30:02 -0500, "MJMIII" <balrog(a)castaway.net>
wrote:

>Short story made long...
>
>I have an XPS 630i just under a year. It came with an HL-DT-ST-BD-RE BH20N
>SCSI DVD burner. Over the last couple months 50% of burns failed unless I
>burned at 2x. All types of burning. Also, it's no longer recognized as
>Lightscribe, so I contacted Dell support through email and received the
>standard form letter stating everything I should try to determine if the
>drive is bad or not. Instead I installed an older SCSI drive I had and it
>works flawlessly, so I replied to Akbar's email and in return I received an
>email stating there's nothing wrong with the BlueRay burner.
>
>Now before I go ballistic on the phone, has anyone had success through
>email? I hate talking to Dell's support staff. It'll take me 10 calls
>before I get someone who understands English, and by that time I'll have no
>control over what comes out of my mouth. <EG>

I know I'm going off topic MJ but I got a chuckle reading your last
sentence. It sorta made my day. I guess I could see myself doing the
same in that situation. The difference is you described it better
than I could <grin>.

Getting back on topic.... If I recall, people said to use chat rather
than the other forms of Dell support if that helps any.
From: Ben Myers on
RnR wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 16:30:02 -0500, "MJMIII" <balrog(a)castaway.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Short story made long...
>>
>> I have an XPS 630i just under a year. It came with an HL-DT-ST-BD-RE BH20N
>> SCSI DVD burner. Over the last couple months 50% of burns failed unless I
>> burned at 2x. All types of burning. Also, it's no longer recognized as
>> Lightscribe, so I contacted Dell support through email and received the
>> standard form letter stating everything I should try to determine if the
>> drive is bad or not. Instead I installed an older SCSI drive I had and it
>> works flawlessly, so I replied to Akbar's email and in return I received an
>> email stating there's nothing wrong with the BlueRay burner.
>>
>> Now before I go ballistic on the phone, has anyone had success through
>> email? I hate talking to Dell's support staff. It'll take me 10 calls
>> before I get someone who understands English, and by that time I'll have no
>> control over what comes out of my mouth. <EG>
>

> I know I'm going off topic MJ but I got a chuckle reading your last
> sentence. It sorta made my day. I guess I could see myself doing the
> same in that situation. The difference is you described it better
> than I could <grin>.
>
> Getting back on topic.... If I recall, people said to use chat rather
> than the other forms of Dell support if that helps any.

Going further off-topic? Maybe not, but good for a laugh. This came
from my son, who knows I often wrestle with telephone tech support from
Dell, HPaq, Comcast, Verizon, Charter Communications, etc.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/customer_service

.... Ben Myers
From: MJMIII on
"RnR" <rnrtexas(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 16:30:02 -0500, "MJMIII" <balrog(a)castaway.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Short story made long...
>>
>>I have an XPS 630i just under a year. It came with an HL-DT-ST-BD-RE
>>BH20N
>>SCSI DVD burner. Over the last couple months 50% of burns failed unless I
>>burned at 2x. All types of burning. Also, it's no longer recognized as
>>Lightscribe, so I contacted Dell support through email and received the
>>standard form letter stating everything I should try to determine if the
>>drive is bad or not. Instead I installed an older SCSI drive I had and it
>>works flawlessly, so I replied to Akbar's email and in return I received
>>an
>>email stating there's nothing wrong with the BlueRay burner.
>>
>>Now before I go ballistic on the phone, has anyone had success through
>>email? I hate talking to Dell's support staff. It'll take me 10 calls
>>before I get someone who understands English, and by that time I'll have
>>no
>>control over what comes out of my mouth. <EG>
>

> I know I'm going off topic MJ but I got a chuckle reading your last
> sentence. It sorta made my day. I guess I could see myself doing the
> same in that situation. The difference is you described it better
> than I could <grin>.
>
> Getting back on topic.... If I recall, people said to use chat rather
> than the other forms of Dell support if that helps any.

Never thought of that. What worries me is I can be just as lethal with my
fingers. :-)
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

From: MJMIII on
"Ben Myers" <ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in message
> RnR wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 16:30:02 -0500, "MJMIII" <balrog(a)castaway.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Short story made long...
>>>
>>> I have an XPS 630i just under a year. It came with an HL-DT-ST-BD-RE
>>> BH20N SCSI DVD burner. Over the last couple months 50% of burns failed
>>> unless I burned at 2x. All types of burning. Also, it's no longer
>>> recognized as Lightscribe, so I contacted Dell support through email and
>>> received the standard form letter stating everything I should try to
>>> determine if the drive is bad or not. Instead I installed an older SCSI
>>> drive I had and it works flawlessly, so I replied to Akbar's email and
>>> in return I received an email stating there's nothing wrong with the
>>> BlueRay burner.
>>>
>>> Now before I go ballistic on the phone, has anyone had success through
>>> email? I hate talking to Dell's support staff. It'll take me 10 calls
>>> before I get someone who understands English, and by that time I'll have
>>> no control over what comes out of my mouth. <EG>
>>

>> I know I'm going off topic MJ but I got a chuckle reading your last
>> sentence. It sorta made my day. I guess I could see myself doing the
>> same in that situation. The difference is you described it better
>> than I could <grin>.
>>
>> Getting back on topic.... If I recall, people said to use chat rather
>> than the other forms of Dell support if that helps any.
>
> Going further off-topic? Maybe not, but good for a laugh. This came from
> my son, who knows I often wrestle with telephone tech support from Dell,
> HPaq, Comcast, Verizon, Charter Communications, etc.
>
> http://theoatmeal.com/comics/customer_service
>
> ... Ben Myers

That is so true, Ben. I may be mistaken, but when I bought a E1705 a few
years ago it was a brick out-of-the-box. It was around the Holidays and I
gave Habib a dissertation on the meaning of Christmas. I guess that's what
is was. I said "Jesus F#####g Christ, maybe, 30 times. Finally, I was
transferred to a supervisor that actually spoke *and* understood English.
He told me if you hold "o" you'll immediately be transferred to a human.
Now I think it was "o".
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.