From: Jim on
My son's Dell Dimension 9200 (with Win XP) keeps acting up. He says the
screen goes blank every 5 minutes, the fan on the graphics card speeds up.
The machine 'looks' like it's in a sort of power-save mode. ll he can do is
reboot, only to have the same thing happen all over again. He can still hear
videos btw, just not see them. Any ideas, anyone?

From: Bob Villa on
On Apr 8, 6:27 am, "Jim" <kyjhthy...(a)harylokgnc.com> wrote:
> My son's Dell Dimension 9200 (with Win XP) keeps acting up. He says the
> screen goes blank every 5 minutes, the fan on the graphics card speeds up..
> The machine 'looks' like it's in a sort of power-save mode. ll he can do is
> reboot, only to have the same thing happen all over again. He can still hear
> videos btw, just not see them. Any ideas, anyone?

Sounds like an over-heating nVidia card (they have known issues)!
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> Any ideas, anyone?

Bad video card most likely.

But...

1. If it's an nVidia card, check your drivers especially if you or
someone else updated them. nVidia had a pretty serious driver flub
recently.

2. Remove and reseat the video card, checking for excessive dust
bunnies.

3. Make sure the fan is operating (although it may be too late at this
point).

4. Check any external power connectors the card to be sure they are
firmly attached.

William
From: Tony Harding on
On 04/08/10 11:49, William R. Walsh wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> Any ideas, anyone?
>
> Bad video card most likely.
>
> But...
>
> 1. If it's an nVidia card, check your drivers especially if you or
> someone else updated them. nVidia had a pretty serious driver flub
> recently.
>
> 2. Remove and reseat the video card, checking for excessive dust
> bunnies.
>
> 3. Make sure the fan is operating (although it may be too late at this
> point).
>
> 4. Check any external power connectors the card to be sure they are
> firmly attached.
>
> William

Good point about the drivers, I've read a bench elsewhere about their
recent bum drivers (197.13 IIRC).

One final note, if the card's still under warranty you should be able to
get a replacement at no cost (I had an nvidia card burn out a few years
ago). I'm still a dedicated nvidia user, however.