From: NJ_Annie on
Can you still purchase a new PC from DELL with Windows XP as the
operating system? I am just very comfortable with XP and would like
it as my op system.

Thanks in advance

annie
From: William R. Walsh on
Yes, but you will have to buy from a Dell business store at their web
site. (This isn't hard to do--individuals can buy from the small
business store. I recommend that they do so.) As far as I know, XP is
only offered on some systems.

William
From: Christopher Muto on
NJ_Annie wrote:
> Can you still purchase a new PC from DELL with Windows XP as the
> operating system? I am just very comfortable with XP and would like
> it as my op system.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> annie

technically you can only buy new computers with Windows 7, however
machines sold from the Dell Business and Education divisions can be
purchased with Windows 7 Professional with what they call a 'downgrade'
of having it shipped with Windows XP Professional pre-installed. In
other words, XP Professional can be had pre-installed on a new system,
but you actually purchase Windows 7 Professional along with permission
to run XP Professional. XP Home can not be had in any way. Since
Windows 7 Professional is not available on any machines sold by Dell's
Home division you can not get a machine from them with Windows XP
Professional pre-installed.
From: Ron Hardin on
NJ_Annie wrote:

> Can you still purchase a new PC from DELL with Windows XP as the
> operating system? I am just very comfortable with XP and would like
> it as my op system.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> annie

Yes, go to small business. You can buy an XP Pro downgrade, and it comes loaded
with XP Pro, and you get a DVD for the O/S you don't want.

At the outlet, even better (better prices, if you look on enough days) just
specify the XP operating system in the search.

Some Windows 7 systems in addition have an XP downgrade listed among the system's
software upgrades, and these also come with XP Pro loaded. (Ie the XP downgrade
isn't always listed in the operating system column)
--
rhhardin(a)mindspring.com

From: Christopher Muto on
Christopher Muto wrote:
> NJ_Annie wrote:
>> Can you still purchase a new PC from DELL with Windows XP as the
>> operating system? I am just very comfortable with XP and would like
>> it as my op system.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> annie
>
> technically you can only buy new computers with Windows 7, however
> machines sold from the Dell Business and Education divisions can be
> purchased with Windows 7 Professional with what they call a 'downgrade'
> of having it shipped with Windows XP Professional pre-installed. In
> other words, XP Professional can be had pre-installed on a new system,
> but you actually purchase Windows 7 Professional along with permission
> to run XP Professional. XP Home can not be had in any way. Since
> Windows 7 Professional is not available on any machines sold by Dell's
> Home division you can not get a machine from them with Windows XP
> Professional pre-installed.

ps... machines purchased today with "windows 7 pro with xp pro
downgrade pre installed" do not come with a windows xp cd and they do
not have a dell system restore recovery partition. they do come with
the windows 7 pro dvd. if you need to restore the system with xp dell
(currently) will send you the required windows xp cd. either way, the
only way to restore these systems is from booting from an operating
system cd/dvd.

i find dell's decision to do this, particularly on their 'quickship'
machines, to be an example of how poorly run they are these days. if
the quickship systems with xp pro downgrade had system restore with an
image of windows 7 pro then these machines would serve a dual purpose.
people wanting either operating system would find these machines
desirable and provide dell with the ability to stock a single inventory
item.