From: Daddy on
Christopher Muto wrote:
>> NJ_Annie wrote:
>>> Can you still purchase a new PC from DELL with Windows XP as the
>>> operating system? I am just very comfortable with XP and would like
>>> it as my op system.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>>
>>> annie
>>
>> technically you can only buy new computers with Windows 7, however
>> machines sold from the Dell Business and Education divisions can be
>> purchased with Windows 7 Professional with what they call a
>> 'downgrade' of having it shipped with Windows XP Professional
>> pre-installed. In other words, XP Professional can be had
>> pre-installed on a new system, but you actually purchase Windows 7
>> Professional along with permission to run XP Professional. XP Home
>> can not be had in any way. Since Windows 7 Professional is not
>> available on any machines sold by Dell's Home division you can not get
>> a machine from them with Windows XP Professional pre-installed.
>
> ps... machines purchased today with "windows 7 pro with xp pro
> downgrade pre installed" do not come with a windows xp cd and they do
> not have a dell system restore recovery partition. they do come with
> the windows 7 pro dvd. if you need to restore the system with xp dell
> (currently) will send you the required windows xp cd. either way, the
> only way to restore these systems is from booting from an operating
> system cd/dvd.
>
> i find dell's decision to do this, particularly on their 'quickship'
> machines, to be an example of how poorly run they are these days. if
> the quickship systems with xp pro downgrade had system restore with an
> image of windows 7 pro then these machines would serve a dual purpose.
> people wanting either operating system would find these machines
> desirable and provide dell with the ability to stock a single inventory
> item.

To be fair to Dell: The 'downgrade to Windows XP' was not meant to be a
way for people to buy a Windows XP computer. The downgrade feature is
for XP users who have to upgrade to Windows 7 'now' (e.g., got a new
job; company is standardizing on Windows 7) and need time to learn the
new OS and perhaps upgrade their software. The anticipation is that the
user will move to Windows 7 within a short time.

To the OP: Whether you like it or not, XP is quickly becoming history.
You're not doing yourself any favors by clinging to it. I wish I could
still use Windows 98 SE and Netscape Navigator.

Daddy
From: RnR on
On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 21:56:02 -0400, Daddy <daddy(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>Christopher Muto wrote:
>> Christopher Muto wrote:

>>> technically you can only buy new computers with Windows 7, however
>>> machines sold from the Dell Business and Education divisions can be
>>> purchased with Windows 7 Professional with what they call a
>>> 'downgrade' of having it shipped with Windows XP Professional
>>> pre-installed. In other words, XP Professional can be had
>>> pre-installed on a new system, but you actually purchase Windows 7
>>> Professional along with permission to run XP Professional. XP Home
>>> can not be had in any way. Since Windows 7 Professional is not
>>> available on any machines sold by Dell's Home division you can not get
>>> a machine from them with Windows XP Professional pre-installed.
>>
>> ps... machines purchased today with "windows 7 pro with xp pro
>> downgrade pre installed" do not come with a windows xp cd and they do
>> not have a dell system restore recovery partition. they do come with
>> the windows 7 pro dvd. if you need to restore the system with xp dell
>> (currently) will send you the required windows xp cd. either way, the
>> only way to restore these systems is from booting from an operating
>> system cd/dvd.
>>
>> i find dell's decision to do this, particularly on their 'quickship'
>> machines, to be an example of how poorly run they are these days. if
>> the quickship systems with xp pro downgrade had system restore with an
>> image of windows 7 pro then these machines would serve a dual purpose.
>> people wanting either operating system would find these machines
>> desirable and provide dell with the ability to stock a single inventory
>> item.
>
>To be fair to Dell: The 'downgrade to Windows XP' was not meant to be a
>way for people to buy a Windows XP computer. The downgrade feature is
>for XP users who have to upgrade to Windows 7 'now' (e.g., got a new
>job; company is standardizing on Windows 7) and need time to learn the
>new OS and perhaps upgrade their software. The anticipation is that the
>user will move to Windows 7 within a short time.
>
>To the OP: Whether you like it or not, XP is quickly becoming history.
>You're not doing yourself any favors by clinging to it. I wish I could
>still use Windows 98 SE and Netscape Navigator.

That's very controversial advice based on what I've read so far.
Personally I have no clue right now.
From: Christopher Muto on
Daddy wrote:
> Christopher Muto wrote:
>> Christopher Muto wrote:

>>> technically you can only buy new computers with Windows 7, however
>>> machines sold from the Dell Business and Education divisions can be
>>> purchased with Windows 7 Professional with what they call a
>>> 'downgrade' of having it shipped with Windows XP Professional
>>> pre-installed. In other words, XP Professional can be had
>>> pre-installed on a new system, but you actually purchase Windows 7
>>> Professional along with permission to run XP Professional. XP Home
>>> can not be had in any way. Since Windows 7 Professional is not
>>> available on any machines sold by Dell's Home division you can not
>>> get a machine from them with Windows XP Professional pre-installed.
>>
>> ps... machines purchased today with "windows 7 pro with xp pro
>> downgrade pre installed" do not come with a windows xp cd and they do
>> not have a dell system restore recovery partition. they do come with
>> the windows 7 pro dvd. if you need to restore the system with xp dell
>> (currently) will send you the required windows xp cd. either way, the
>> only way to restore these systems is from booting from an operating
>> system cd/dvd.
>>
>> i find dell's decision to do this, particularly on their 'quickship'
>> machines, to be an example of how poorly run they are these days. if
>> the quickship systems with xp pro downgrade had system restore with an
>> image of windows 7 pro then these machines would serve a dual purpose.
>> people wanting either operating system would find these machines
>> desirable and provide dell with the ability to stock a single
>> inventory item.
>
> To be fair to Dell: The 'downgrade to Windows XP' was not meant to be a
> way for people to buy a Windows XP computer. The downgrade feature is
> for XP users who have to upgrade to Windows 7 'now' (e.g., got a new
> job; company is standardizing on Windows 7) and need time to learn the
> new OS and perhaps upgrade their software. The anticipation is that the
> user will move to Windows 7 within a short time.
>
> To the OP: Whether you like it or not, XP is quickly becoming history.
> You're not doing yourself any favors by clinging to it. I wish I could
> still use Windows 98 SE and Netscape Navigator.
>
> Daddy

i have no idea what you are trying to say.
microsoft states that they no longer sell windows xp. but they do sell
windows 7 pro with a license that states you may run windows xp pro
instead if you prefer. the reasons are pretty simple - microsoft
doesn't want to attribute any new sales to xp and corporations that are
not ready to migrate to windows 7 which requires significant costs in
hardware and software upgrades. these are microsoft issues. my comment
about dell is really simple, if they are not going to provide a windows
xp cd or a recovery partition on machines sold with the xp pro downgrade
then they should at least put an windows 7 recovery partition on it. it
would make recovery simple, make the pre built 'quick ship' machines
dual purpose, and cost them nothing to do so. it is almost as lame as
the fact that the quick ship machines are sold without monitors and the
monitors don't arrive until days later... making quickship desktops
pretty much a waste of money (they cos about 25% more than build to
order and you have to compromise on the configuration - and the
operating system in the case of xp downgrade machines).
From: timdrouillard on
FYI,
We just bought a 'Fastrack' Latitude E6400 laptop two weeks ago and it did
come with BOTH the Windows 7 DVD as well as the XP Pro SP3 CD along with
driver DVD's for each.

From: Ann Watson on
NJ_Annie wrote:
> Can you still purchase a new PC from DELL with Windows XP as the
> operating system? I am just very comfortable with XP and would like
> it as my op system.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> annie

Lots of Dell netbooks come with XP SP3.