From: Daddy on
Christopher Muto wrote:
> Daddy wrote:

>>> ps... machines purchased today with "windows 7 pro with xp pro
>>> downgrade pre installed" do not come with a windows xp cd and they do
>>> not have a dell system restore recovery partition. they do come with
>>> the windows 7 pro dvd. if you need to restore the system with xp
>>> dell (currently) will send you the required windows xp cd. either
>>> way, the only way to restore these systems is from booting from an
>>> operating system cd/dvd.
>>>
>>> i find dell's decision to do this, particularly on their 'quickship'
>>> machines, to be an example of how poorly run they are these days. if
>>> the quickship systems with xp pro downgrade had system restore with
>>> an image of windows 7 pro then these machines would serve a dual
>>> purpose. people wanting either operating system would find these
>>> machines desirable and provide dell with the ability to stock a
>>> single inventory item.
>>
>> To be fair to Dell: The 'downgrade to Windows XP' was not meant to be
>> a way for people to buy a Windows XP computer. The downgrade feature
>> is for XP users who have to upgrade to Windows 7 'now' (e.g., got a
>> new job; company is standardizing on Windows 7) and need time to learn
>> the new OS and perhaps upgrade their software. The anticipation is
>> that the user will move to Windows 7 within a short time.
>>
>> To the OP: Whether you like it or not, XP is quickly becoming history.
>> You're not doing yourself any favors by clinging to it. I wish I could
>> still use Windows 98 SE and Netscape Navigator.
>>
>> Daddy
>
> i have no idea what you are trying to say.
> microsoft states that they no longer sell windows xp. but they do sell
> windows 7 pro with a license that states you may run windows xp pro
> instead if you prefer. the reasons are pretty simple - microsoft
> doesn't want to attribute any new sales to xp and corporations that are
> not ready to migrate to windows 7 which requires significant costs in
> hardware and software upgrades. these are microsoft issues. my comment
> about dell is really simple, if they are not going to provide a windows
> xp cd or a recovery partition on machines sold with the xp pro downgrade
> then they should at least put an windows 7 recovery partition on it. it
> would make recovery simple, make the pre built 'quick ship' machines
> dual purpose, and cost them nothing to do so. it is almost as lame as
> the fact that the quick ship machines are sold without monitors and the
> monitors don't arrive until days later... making quickship desktops
> pretty much a waste of money (they cos about 25% more than build to
> order and you have to compromise on the configuration - and the
> operating system in the case of xp downgrade machines).

Your insight into Microsoft's and Dell's business plans is astounding.

Daddy
From: Christopher Muto on
Ann Watson wrote:
> NJ_Annie wrote:
>> Can you still purchase a new PC from DELL with Windows XP as the
>> operating system? I am just very comfortable with XP and would like
>> it as my op system.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> annie
>
> Lots of Dell netbooks come with XP SP3.

actually that is windows xp "starter edition".
it has certain limitations such as only allowing 3 applications to be
open simultaneously. and since it is not 'professional' version it can
not join company networks with a windows domain controller. this
version of windows is an invention of microsoft since netbooks running
atom processors did not have the resources to run windows 7 and as sales
in netbooks running linux was rising microsoft had to come up with an
answer for some sort of operating system they could sell that could run
on a netbook...
From: Star on
On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 22:51:50 -0400, Christopher Muto
<muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Ann Watson wrote:
>> NJ_Annie wrote:
>>> Can you still purchase a new PC from DELL with Windows XP as the
>>> operating system? I am just very comfortable with XP and would like
>>> it as my op system.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>>
>>> annie
>>
>> Lots of Dell netbooks come with XP SP3.
>
>actually that is windows xp "starter edition".
>it has certain limitations such as only allowing 3 applications to be
>open simultaneously. and since it is not 'professional' version it can
>not join company networks with a windows domain controller. this
>version of windows is an invention of microsoft since netbooks running
>atom processors did not have the resources to run windows 7 and as sales
>in netbooks running linux was rising microsoft had to come up with an
>answer for some sort of operating system they could sell that could run
>on a netbook...

Chris are you off your meds? 8>}
You, I and everybody else on this newsgroup knows there is no such
thing as "XP starter edition" and you were thinking of WIndows 7
starter edition.

Art

From: Christopher Muto on
Star@*.* wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 22:51:50 -0400, Christopher Muto
> <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
>> Ann Watson wrote:

>>> Lots of Dell netbooks come with XP SP3.
>> actually that is windows xp "starter edition".
>> it has certain limitations such as only allowing 3 applications to be
>> open simultaneously. and since it is not 'professional' version it can
>> not join company networks with a windows domain controller. this
>> version of windows is an invention of microsoft since netbooks running
>> atom processors did not have the resources to run windows 7 and as sales
>> in netbooks running linux was rising microsoft had to come up with an
>> answer for some sort of operating system they could sell that could run
>> on a netbook...
>
> Chris are you off your meds? 8>}
> You, I and everybody else on this newsgroup knows there is no such
> thing as "XP starter edition" and you were thinking of WIndows 7
> starter edition.
>
> Art

who knows what i was thinking... you are right, there is no windows xp
starter edition. and xp home is indeed sold on dell mini netbooks from
the home division. even vista is currently being sold on a couple of
dell mini models. as is the ridicolus windows 7 starter, and of course
linux too...
From: Ron Hardin on
Daddy wrote:
> To the OP: Whether you like it or not, XP is quickly becoming history.
> You're not doing yourself any favors by clinging to it. I wish I could
> still use Windows 98 SE and Netscape Navigator.

I use Netscape Navigator for usenet, as the header of this message probably shows.

The "Help" button produces
Netscape Navigator (TM) Version 2.02
Copyright � 1994-1995 Netscape Communications Corporation, All rights reserved.

--
rhhardin(a)mindspring.com