From: Ben Myers on
On 4/11/2010 8:20 PM, Ron Hardin wrote:
> Daddy wrote:
>> To the OP: Whether you like it or not, XP is quickly becoming history.
>> You're not doing yourself any favors by clinging to it. I wish I could
>> still use Windows 98 SE and Netscape Navigator.
>

> I use Netscape Navigator for usenet, as the header of this message probably shows.
>
> The "Help" button produces
> Netscape Navigator (TM) Version 2.02
> Copyright � 1994-1995 Netscape Communications Corporation, All rights reserved.

"XP is quickly becoming history." So Microsoft would like us all to
believe. Those XP machines are not disappearing very quickly though,
especially in parts of corporate America where there are home-grown apps
in use... Ben Myers

From: Daddy on
Ben Myers wrote:
> On 4/11/2010 8:20 PM, Ron Hardin wrote:
>> Daddy wrote:
>>> To the OP: Whether you like it or not, XP is quickly becoming history.
>>> You're not doing yourself any favors by clinging to it. I wish I could
>>> still use Windows 98 SE and Netscape Navigator.
>>

>> I use Netscape Navigator for usenet, as the header of this message
>> probably shows.
>>
>> The "Help" button produces
>> Netscape Navigator (TM) Version 2.02
>> Copyright � 1994-1995 Netscape Communications Corporation, All rights
>> reserved.
>>

> "XP is quickly becoming history." So Microsoft would like us all to
> believe. Those XP machines are not disappearing very quickly though,
> especially in parts of corporate America where there are home-grown apps
> in use... Ben Myers

Indeed. My employer is clinging to Windows XP and IE 6 for dear life.
Our low-IQ system administrators have only fear and trepidation of the
future. They can barely keep our systems going as it is.

Daddy
From: Ben Myers on
On 4/11/2010 11:19 PM, Daddy wrote:
> Ben Myers wrote:
>>>

>>> I use Netscape Navigator for usenet, as the header of this message
>>> probably shows.
>>>
>>> The "Help" button produces
>>> Netscape Navigator (TM) Version 2.02
>>> Copyright � 1994-1995 Netscape Communications Corporation, All rights
>>> reserved.
>>>

>> "XP is quickly becoming history." So Microsoft would like us all to
>> believe. Those XP machines are not disappearing very quickly though,
>> especially in parts of corporate America where there are home-grown
>> apps in use... Ben Myers
>>

> Indeed. My employer is clinging to Windows XP and IE 6 for dear life.
> Our low-IQ system administrators have only fear and trepidation of the
> future. They can barely keep our systems going as it is.
>
> Daddy
It may be simple paranoia where you work, but some number of man-years
spent in development and testing of home grown apps is often enough for
companies to put off the changeover.

Maybe your company does not pay enough to attract and hire higher IQ
system administrators? ... Ben Myers
From: Christopher Muto on
Ben Myers wrote:
> On 4/11/2010 11:19 PM, Daddy wrote:
>> Ben Myers wrote:

>>> "XP is quickly becoming history." So Microsoft would like us all to
>>> believe. Those XP machines are not disappearing very quickly though,
>>> especially in parts of corporate America where there are home-grown
>>> apps in use... Ben Myers
>>>

>> Indeed. My employer is clinging to Windows XP and IE 6 for dear life.
>> Our low-IQ system administrators have only fear and trepidation of the
>> future. They can barely keep our systems going as it is.
>>
>> Daddy
> It may be simple paranoia where you work, but some number of man-years
> spent in development and testing of home grown apps is often enough for
> companies to put off the changeover.
>
> Maybe your company does not pay enough to attract and hire higher IQ
> system administrators? ... Ben Myers

that's funny. i was thinking that when people talk trash about their
i.t. department it is really them talking trash about their company
management. the problem usually starts at the top because of management
that does not understand or appreciate the importance of i.t. to the
success of their business and so don't pay attention to it. this leads
them to tighten budgets to a point of false economies, ironically making
them pay more and get less. and they don't just pay more for
overextending the life cycle of systems but pay more in terms of lost
productivity from employees that become unhappy and disgruntle from
working in an environment that does not support them. this is a
separate issue from the debate on the need to upgrade to xp or not.
that is totally dependent on the goals and needs of the company, first
and foremost dictated by necessary applications which in turn dictate
the required os.