From: TomAZ on
Have an Inspiron 1720 running Vista Home premium with 2.5 Ghz dual
core CPU and 4 Gb RAM Recently the sytem has developed a problem with
"skips" or hiccups with sound when playing music. It doesn't matter
what player I use (have tried VLC, jet Audio, and Windows media
player). skips are more frequent at high volumes. I've checked
task manager when this is happening and there isn't any unusual drain
on CPU or memory. Checked Device manager and the sound drivers
(SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC and WS Audio device) are up to
date. Checked Sound Speakers / headphone properties enhancements and
nothing is checked for disablement. Advanced tab shows 16 bit 48000
Hz DVD quality with Allow applications... and Give exclusive mode...
both checked. By the way, this only happens using the computer
speakers. I've not yet had it happen using headphones. Have seen a
couple of other folks reporting this problem but no resolution.
Thanks.

Tom
From: Dean-MN on
TomAZ wrote:
> Have an Inspiron 1720 running Vista Home premium with 2.5 Ghz dual
> core CPU and 4 Gb RAM Recently the sytem has developed a problem with
> "skips" or hiccups with sound when playing music. It doesn't matter
> what player I use (have tried VLC, jet Audio, and Windows media
> player). skips are more frequent at high volumes. I've checked
> task manager when this is happening and there isn't any unusual drain
> on CPU or memory. Checked Device manager and the sound drivers
> (SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC and WS Audio device) are up to
> date. Checked Sound Speakers / headphone properties enhancements and
> nothing is checked for disablement. Advanced tab shows 16 bit 48000
> Hz DVD quality with Allow applications... and Give exclusive mode...
> both checked. By the way, this only happens using the computer
> speakers. I've not yet had it happen using headphones. Have seen a
> couple of other folks reporting this problem but no resolution.
> Thanks.
>
> Tom

Hi, Try this...

Goto Control Panel
Select Hardware and Sound
Select Sound
Double Click Speakers/Headphones
Select the enhancements tab
Place a check mark in the "Disable all Enhancements"
Click apply

I had the same problem when I got my first Dell with Vista and the above
fied it for me. Hope it does for you...Dean

From: Christopher Muto on
TomAZ wrote:
> Have an Inspiron 1720 running Vista Home premium with 2.5 Ghz dual
> core CPU and 4 Gb RAM Recently the sytem has developed a problem with
> "skips" or hiccups with sound when playing music. It doesn't matter
> what player I use (have tried VLC, jet Audio, and Windows media
> player). skips are more frequent at high volumes. I've checked
> task manager when this is happening and there isn't any unusual drain
> on CPU or memory. Checked Device manager and the sound drivers
> (SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC and WS Audio device) are up to
> date. Checked Sound Speakers / headphone properties enhancements and
> nothing is checked for disablement. Advanced tab shows 16 bit 48000
> Hz DVD quality with Allow applications... and Give exclusive mode...
> both checked. By the way, this only happens using the computer
> speakers. I've not yet had it happen using headphones. Have seen a
> couple of other folks reporting this problem but no resolution.
> Thanks.
>
> Tom

i have seen lots of complaints about the sound on the inspiron 1720, and
though the suggestion of turning off enhancements might help, it also
might not. this might make for interesting and unexpected reading...
http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19293626.aspx