From: Sam on
A neighbor recently asked me to check her Dell laptop computer for malware
and operation. I installed the MalwareByte program and it found numerous
Trojans. There are other things I could do to clean up the computer but am
hesitate to do so since she does not have any type of backup program. I
suggested an external hard drive, with an imaging program and she is
receptive in me doing this for her. I don't have any experience with
laptops but the computer does have windows XP Pro (SP1) installed and so I
am able to operate it without any problems so far.

I also did a review of the Event Viewer, system, and found the following two
red X errors. So far they have appeared only once each computer session
when I am checking out the computer.

a. The HP Cue Device Discovery Service hung on starting
Event ID: 7022
Source - Service Control Manager

b. The Driver Detected a Controller Error on \Device\Harddisk0\D
Event ID: 11
Source - Disk

Any suggestions as to the following would be very much appreciated.

a. Specific type/names of USB external HDs and imaging programs. I have
the Symantec Livestate Recovery program on my desktop computer and so am
familiar with imaging.

b. How serious are the Error problems noted in the Event Viewer and
possible resolutions.

Thanks for any help, Sam.