From: powrwrap on
After reading Pat Conover's account of bringing his aging Dim 4550 up
to 2 GB of RAM, I decided I should buy a 1 GB stick and install it
alongside my 512 MB stick. I'm pretty much set on buying a Crucial
stick from newegg.com for $41.99 but then I found this:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=1024DDR2700ECC-SAM-R&cat=RAM

A 1 GB Samsung stick (refurbished) for $21.99.

How can you have a refurbished memory stick? Someone bought it and it
was the wrong type for their motherboard and returned it?

I bought my refurbished Netgear router from Geeks.com last winter and
it was sealed and packed in a new box. I'm quite satisfied with it.
The Samsung refurb stick only comes with a 30 day warranty whereas the
Crucial has a lifetime warranty.

Would you gamble on a refurb memory stick?
From: Bob Villa on
On Jul 6, 2:19 pm, powrwrap <powrw...(a)aol.com> wrote:
> After reading Pat Conover's account of bringing his aging Dim 4550 up
> to 2 GB of RAM, I decided I should buy a 1 GB stick and install it
> alongside my 512 MB stick. I'm pretty much set on buying a Crucial
> stick from newegg.com for $41.99 but then I found this:
>
> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=1024DDR2700ECC-SAM-R&cat=RAM
>
> A 1 GB Samsung stick (refurbished) for $21.99.
>
> How can you have a refurbished memory stick? Someone bought it and it
> was the wrong type for their motherboard and returned it?
>
> I bought my refurbished Netgear router from Geeks.com last winter and
> it was sealed and packed in a new box. I'm quite satisfied with it.
> The Samsung refurb stick only comes with a 30 day warranty whereas the
> Crucial has a lifetime warranty.
>
> Would you gamble on a refurb memory stick?

It's probably as you suggested "returned"...and they can't sell it for
new.

bob
From: Pat Conover on
"powrwrap" <powrwrap(a)aol.com> wrote in message
> After reading Pat Conover's account of bringing his aging Dim 4550 up
> to 2 GB of RAM, I decided I should buy a 1 GB stick and install it
> alongside my 512 MB stick. I'm pretty much set on buying a Crucial
> stick from newegg.com for $41.99 but then I found this:
>
> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=1024DDR2700ECC-SAM-R&cat=RAM
>
> A 1 GB Samsung stick (refurbished) for $21.99.
>
> How can you have a refurbished memory stick? Someone bought it and it
> was the wrong type for their motherboard and returned it?
>
> I bought my refurbished Netgear router from Geeks.com last winter and
> it was sealed and packed in a new box. I'm quite satisfied with it.
> The Samsung refurb stick only comes with a 30 day warranty whereas the
> Crucial has a lifetime warranty.
>
> Would you gamble on a refurb memory stick?

I assume you are talking about a Dimension 4550. That's ECC memory, and
according to Dell docs won't work in a Dim 4550.

"DDR 333 (non-ECC) only on computers with a 533-MHz system clock speed, DDR
266 (non-ECC) on computers with either a 400- or a 533-MHz system clock
speed"

Otherwise, you should know well before the end of the 30-day warranty if its
good or not, run Memtest86, etc and I would have gone for it. I have bought
used RAMBUS from eBay, but you can't go wrong with Crucial for main stream
memory though. Pat

From: Pat Conover on
"Pat Conover" <public(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> "powrwrap" <powrwrap(a)aol.com> wrote in message
>> After reading Pat Conover's account of bringing his aging Dim 4550 up
>> to 2 GB of RAM, I decided I should buy a 1 GB stick and install it
>> alongside my 512 MB stick. I'm pretty much set on buying a Crucial
>> stick from newegg.com for $41.99 but then I found this:
>>
>> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=1024DDR2700ECC-SAM-R&cat=RAM
>>
>> A 1 GB Samsung stick (refurbished) for $21.99.
>>
>> How can you have a refurbished memory stick? Someone bought it and it
>> was the wrong type for their motherboard and returned it?
>>
>> I bought my refurbished Netgear router from Geeks.com last winter and
>> it was sealed and packed in a new box. I'm quite satisfied with it.
>> The Samsung refurb stick only comes with a 30 day warranty whereas the
>> Crucial has a lifetime warranty.
>>
>> Would you gamble on a refurb memory stick?
>
> I assume you are talking about a Dimension 4550. That's ECC memory, and
> according to Dell docs won't work in a Dim 4550.
>
> "DDR 333 (non-ECC) only on computers with a 533-MHz system clock speed,
> DDR 266 (non-ECC) on computers with either a 400- or a 533-MHz system
> clock speed"
>
> Otherwise, you should know well before the end of the 30-day warranty if
> its good or not, run Memtest86, etc and I would have gone for it. I have
> bought used RAMBUS from eBay, but you can't go wrong with Crucial for main
> stream memory though. Pat
Forgot to add, that Dell was wrong about the Dim 4550 capacity at 1GB, so
maybe ECC would work, but probably not if the other memory is non-ECC.
Although, I thought it would just then run both sticks as non-ECC. Others
will know more, Pat

From: Christopher Muto on
powrwrap wrote:
> After reading Pat Conover's account of bringing his aging Dim 4550 up
> to 2 GB of RAM, I decided I should buy a 1 GB stick and install it
> alongside my 512 MB stick. I'm pretty much set on buying a Crucial
> stick from newegg.com for $41.99 but then I found this:
>
> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=1024DDR2700ECC-SAM-R&cat=RAM
>
> A 1 GB Samsung stick (refurbished) for $21.99.
>
> How can you have a refurbished memory stick? Someone bought it and it
> was the wrong type for their motherboard and returned it?
>
> I bought my refurbished Netgear router from Geeks.com last winter and
> it was sealed and packed in a new box. I'm quite satisfied with it.
> The Samsung refurb stick only comes with a 30 day warranty whereas the
> Crucial has a lifetime warranty.
>
> Would you gamble on a refurb memory stick?

geeks.com are completely reputable and they are no dopes.
the memory you refered to is ecc (error correction control) that is not
meant for the dimension 4550. it is also less popular in general hence
its low price and it is out of stock anyway... geeks does have used 1gb
pc2700 184pin modules starting at $32 ($27 plus about $5 shipping).
nothing wrong with these majors on minors from geeks but for just $5
more you can get a new major on major module from newegg (pqi brand -
just like dell puts in machines themselves) with lifetime warranty and
known compatibility.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820141166