From: phoenix on

My PA10 works intermittently. Anyone managed to repair it or do I need
to buy a replacement?:mad:

From: Christopher Muto on
phoenix wrote:
> My PA10 works intermittently. Anyone managed to repair it or do I need
> to buy a replacement?:mad:

are you sure the problem is the adapter and not the computer?
it is a common and unfortunate problem with many model laptops that the
connector in the computer becomes loose and so has poor contact with the
system board. a simple test of this condition is jiggle the plug on the
computer end while it is inserted into the laptop and watch to see if it
switches between battery and ac power. this should be covered under
warranty or there are many shops that will re solder the ac jack back on
the system board for a flat fee. depending on the age of the system it
may not be worth the expense. having said that, genuine dell pa10
adapters can be had from ebay for about $20 delivered. clone "for dell"
adapters can be had on ebay for close to $10 delivered but they are junk
and will not be as durable or long lasting.
From: BillW50 on
In news:gfqdnSs0IpA7_t_WnZ2dnUVZ_jKdnZ2d(a)speakeasy.net,
Christopher Muto typed on Mon, 04 Jan 2010 16:54:46 -0500:
> ... a simple test of this condition is jiggle the plug on the computer
> end while it is inserted into the laptop and watch to see if it
> switches between battery and ac power.

Well that is a tip-off for sure. But if it doesn't, it doesn't mean it
isn't the jack itself or the solder connections to the board. As
sometimes the jack can break (and it is still can be solid as a rock) or
a solder connection or something... and no amount of wiggling will make
it work for some of them.

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 2 of 3 - Windows XP SP3

From: MZB on
Chris:

Can you elaborate. Lately, my Inspiron does switch from battery to AC when I
jiggle the chord a bit.
What does that indicate?

Is it easy to fix?

Mel

From: Christopher Muto on
MZB wrote:
> Chris:
>
> Can you elaborate. Lately, my Inspiron does switch from battery to AC when I
> jiggle the chord a bit.
> What does that indicate?
>
> Is it easy to fix?
>
> Mel
>

> "Christopher Muto" <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> phoenix wrote:
>>> My PA10 works intermittently. Anyone managed to repair it or do I need
>>> to buy a replacement?:mad:
>>>

>> are you sure the problem is the adapter and not the computer?
>> it is a common and unfortunate problem with many model laptops that the
>> connector in the computer becomes loose and so has poor contact with the
>> system board. a simple test of this condition is jiggle the plug on the
>> computer end while it is inserted into the laptop and watch to see if it
>> switches between battery and ac power. this should be covered under
>> warranty or there are many shops that will re solder the ac jack back on
>> the system board for a flat fee. depending on the age of the system it
>> may not be worth the expense. having said that, genuine dell pa10
>> adapters can be had from ebay for about $20 delivered. clone "for dell"
>> adapters can be had on ebay for close to $10 delivered but they are junk
>> and will not be as durable or long lasting.

to repair a jack problem means entirely removing the system board from
the laptop, removing the old jack, soldering in a new one, and then
reassembling the laptop. not particularly hard but not a job for a
complete novice either. bad soldering skills can ruin the board... but
a board with this problem is pretty much useless anyway. if you can
remove the board (visit support.dell.com and under documentation look
for the service manual for you model for details) then you can send off
the board for repair. look on ebay for some people that do the job for
a flat rate, and that might even include removal of the board (ship them
your whole computer less memory, hard disk, optical drive, etc).
Of course there is also a chance that the problem is less dire than
this... well traveled and roughly handeled ac adapters can have a issue
with the wire where it enters the laptop plug, or the wire could be cut
or frayed, or the removable power cord may simply not be fully inserted
into the adapter... but those conditions are no so common, but worth
considering. in other words, make sure you have a good ac adapter
before you proceed with a motherboard power jack repair.
here is a example of the work involved...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjOVOLOW1Hc