From: Don717 on
I'm upgrading my granddaughter's Dell Laptop. She has two discs which
she received from Dell to upgrade to Windows 7. One titled "Upgrade
Assistant" and one titled "Operating System". The instructions that Dell
sent basically say put the Upgrade disc in first and then the Operating
disk in.

I want to make a clean install on her laptop. Presently she gets a blue
screen shortly after Windows loads and then it restarts. I'm able to
get it to load Windows in Safe mode. I need some instruction on how to
make a clean install in Safe Mode using the above two disks.

Thank you

Don

From: Bobby Johnson on
The best source for information about this is the Dell Technical
Support. Dell customizes their discs for their systems and it is not
feasible to provide you informed information about Dell products.

From: Carlos on
Don717,
My first step would be to address the blue screen issue.
Is your granddaughter's laptop still under warranty?
You might ask Dell to have it repaired.
After that the upgrade with the supplied discs should not be a problem.
Carlos

From: XS11E on
Don717 <dpullem(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm upgrading my granddaughter's Dell Laptop. She has two discs
> which she received from Dell to upgrade to Windows 7. One titled
> "Upgrade Assistant" and one titled "Operating System". The
> instructions that Dell sent basically say put the Upgrade disc in
> first and then the Operating disk in.
>
> I want to make a clean install on her laptop. Presently she gets
> a blue screen shortly after Windows loads and then it restarts.
> I'm able to get it to load Windows in Safe mode. I need some
> instruction on how to make a clean install in Safe Mode using the
> above two disks.

I did this on an HP which may be similar. The first CD checked the
system for compatibility, backed up installed programs that could be
re-installed, told me which programs had to be removed and reinstalled
after Win7 was installed, etc. etc.

The second CD cleaned off the Windows partition and did a clean
install, reinstalled those applications that it could (MS Office,
Quicken, etc. IIRC) and left me with a clean install and only a few
programs to re-install.

Of course I used Acronis to make an image before doing any of the
above....

The Usenet Improvement Project: