From: Rlong via AccessMonster.com on
I've created a small but somewhat complex relational database that uses
autonumber fields in higher level tables as primary keys to link with foreign
keys in lower level tables. At this point I have up to 5 levels of tables.
I'd like to copy this database for use at 4 other remote sites, with the
ultimate intention of merging all 5 back together after a few months of data
entry. I've read quite a bit about how to merge databases that weren't
originally designed with future merges in mind, and this ends up being quite
complex with so many levels and autonumber-dependent tables. I'm wondering if
there is a way that I can create the duplicate databases from the outset that
would make future merging easier?

For instance, by causing the autonumbers at each different site to either
start at a particular point (e.g., one site be the 100000s and another the
200000s), or, by using the "random" setting for autonumber such that no two
autonumbers in the same table were identical (although my sense is that
"random" introduces its own problems).

Any thoughts on how to make the future merge easier would be helpful.

Thanks

From: Jeff Boyce on
I didn't notice which version of Access you are using. This is important
because the Replication feature went away for the ?2007 version. If you're
up to it, that might be a way if you're using the earlier (pre- 2007)
versions.

An alternate approach might be to add in a single field that holds the
location. The combination of your autonumber PLUS the
location/facility/site/... will give you a way to identify which records
belong to which site.

Now, if you were trying to use Access Autonumbers as sequence numbers,
you're in for a bit of pain. Access Autonumbers are intended to uniquely
identify rows. That's it! Not guaranteed sequential, can/will have missing
values.

Good luck!

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

From: Rlong via AccessMonster.com on
Thanks, Jeff. Yes, I am using 2007. I'm not sure what the "replication"
feature was, but it sounds like it isn't an option anyway for 2007.

So, regarding the combination field--I'm unclear how this would work, as I
didn't think you could create a "calculated field" in a table. And, assuming
I did do this, would I need to do this for all the primary key/foreign key
combinations manually throughout the database? As you can tell, I'm on the
newer end of the continuum when it comes to database construction, and have
little coding experience--most of what I've done is menu-driven.

Thanks

From: Fred on
I think that you will need to be thinking about your "data" mission and data
specifics with all of these databases as a being the core of answering this
question. (or maybe you have already and didn't describe it to us.)

For example:

Are these different locations editing records that are for the same entity
(e.g. updating data for a particular person at multiple locations)

Are these different locations just adding records, or are they editing
existing records? If it's the latter, what will they be looking at to edit?

Etc.

Once you get those kinds of things decided, then those decision should how
you created your structure.

Replication was, in essence, to manage having, (and, more to the point,
editing on) multiple copies of the same database.

From: Rlong via AccessMonster.com on
Thanks for the continued input. The different locations are simply entering
new data, and won't need to see or edit data from the other locations or the
base location. After 3 months of data entry, each offsite database will
ideally be brought into the base database and use at other locations will be
discontinued.

Thanks.

Fred wrote:
>I think that you will need to be thinking about your "data" mission and data
>specifics with all of these databases as a being the core of answering this
>question. (or maybe you have already and didn't describe it to us.)
>
>For example:
>
>Are these different locations editing records that are for the same entity
>(e.g. updating data for a particular person at multiple locations)
>
>Are these different locations just adding records, or are they editing
>existing records? If it's the latter, what will they be looking at to edit?
>

>Etc.
>
>Once you get those kinds of things decided, then those decision should how
>you created your structure.
>
>Replication was, in essence, to manage having, (and, more to the point,
>editing on) multiple copies of the same database.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Creating links
Next: Automatic Annual Leave