From: LSMFT on
houghi wrote:

> LSMFT wrote:
>>> Is the file still available under ~/Desktop ?
>>> What does the file say there?
>>>

>> It is still in desktop because I have a desktop icon for it in KDE.
>
> That is the answer to the first question. Are you in any way
inclined to
> give an answer to the second one?
>
> houghi

It says:
[Desktop Entry]
X-SuSE-translate=true
Categories=Application;Network;WebBrowser;X-Ximian-Main;X-Ximian-
Toplevel;
Name=Firefox
Comment=Web Browser
TryExec=firefox
Exec=firefox %u
Icon=firefox
Terminal=false
MimeType=text/html;application/xhtml+xml
Type=Application
OnlyShowIn=KDE;

What is the origin of this OnlyShowIn statement?
If I remove it it will show up in XFCE?

--
LSMFT

I'm trying to think but nothing happens.
From: mjt on
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 08:29:58 -0400
LSMFT <boleyn7(a)aol.com> wrote:

[snip]
> It says:
> [Desktop Entry]
> X-SuSE-translate=true
> Categories=Application;Network;WebBrowser;X-Ximian-Main;X-Ximian-
> Toplevel;
> Name=Firefox
> Comment=Web Browser
> TryExec=firefox
> Exec=firefox %u
> Icon=firefox
> Terminal=false
> MimeType=text/html;application/xhtml+xml
> Type=Application
> OnlyShowIn=KDE;
>
> What is the origin of this OnlyShowIn statement?

desktop environments and other utils

> If I remove it it will show up in XFCE?

No.

Did you see my other reply?

--
"You know, it's at times like this when I'm trapped in a Vogon
airlock with a man from Betelgeuse and about to die of asphyxiation in

From: David Bolt on
On Thursday 24 Jun 2010 20:22, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
houghi painted this mural:

> LSMFT wrote:
>> It says:
>> [Desktop Entry]

<snip>

>> OnlyShowIn=KDE;
>>
>> What is the origin of this OnlyShowIn statement?
>
> Probably KDE itself.

It's a part of the desktop file specification:

<http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/1.0/ar01s05.html>

Registered values are here:

<http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/1.0/apb.html>

>> If I remove it it will show up in XFCE?
>
> It works when I remove that line. The 100% sure answer will be to just
> put a # in front of the line when in XFCE and see what happens.

The OnlyShowIn entry means exactly what it says, which is to only show
up when using the specified desktop. spec. XFCE does follow the spec,
and so won't show icons where the desktop file includes that line
without including XFCE.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net
openSUSE 11.0 32b | | | openSUSE 11.3RC1 32b

From: LSMFT on
houghi wrote:

> LSMFT wrote:
>> It says:
>> [Desktop Entry]
>> X-SuSE-translate=true
>> Categories=Application;Network;WebBrowser;X-Ximian-Main;X-Ximian-
>> Toplevel;
>> Name=Firefox
>> Comment=Web Browser
>> TryExec=firefox
>> Exec=firefox %u
>> Icon=firefox
>> Terminal=false
>> MimeType=text/html;application/xhtml+xml
>> Type=Application
>> OnlyShowIn=KDE;
>>
>> What is the origin of this OnlyShowIn statement?
>
> Probably KDE itself.
>
>> If I remove it it will show up in XFCE?
>
> It works when I remove that line. The 100% sure answer will be to
just
> put a # in front of the line when in XFCE and see what happens.
>
> houghi

That did the trick with the # in front of that line. Now I have a
Firefox icon on my desktop.

From: David Bolt on
On Thursday 24 Jun 2010 23:17, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
houghi painted this mural:

> David Bolt wrote:

>> The OnlyShowIn entry means exactly what it says, which is to only show
>> up when using the specified desktop. spec. XFCE does follow the spec,
>> and so won't show icons where the desktop file includes that line
>> without including XFCE.
>
> There is no discussion abot that. The issue is that somebody made the
> file in XFCE. I did the same in XFCE and that did not place the line
> there.

I don't think it's KDE putting the line in either. I've created
a few icons/desktop files in KDE and they don't get that line.

> So the mistery at this moment is "Who placed the line there?" and why?

Good question.

> With my 11.2 it just plain worked.

Same here.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net
openSUSE 11.0 32b | | | openSUSE 11.3RC1 32b
| openSUSE 11.1 64b | openSUSE 11.2 64b |
TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 11.1 PPC | RISC OS 4.02 | RISC OS 3.11

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: pdftk for SuSE 9
Next: rm -rf /