From: Peter Olcott on
Okay, thanks again for your help. I tried to fix my Outlook
Express quoting so I would not have to top post, but the fix
did not work.

"David Schwartz" <davids(a)webmaster.com> wrote in message
On Apr 12, 8:48 pm, "Peter Olcott" <NoS...(a)OCR4Screen.com>
wrote:

> Someone in another group said that the idea that you
> mentioned in your last sentence had been universally
> abandoned several decades ago because there was too much
> OS
> overhead involved with this.

That's how progress goes. Ideas are adopted, abandoned, and
then
rediscovered. How much OS overhead matters in the scheduler,
compared
to how important it is that you do the most important work,
has
changed significantly, mostly due to the increasing
complexity of CPU
topology.

> I came here to confirm or deny
> the truth of this alternative view. Of course I could be
> misparaphrasing what they said.

It's going to depend on people's areas of experience.
Someone who
works with Windows a lot will have a different idea of
what's common
scheduler behavior than someone who only works with Linux.
Linux's
scheduling algorithm was recently completely replaced and
the way
priority works was completely changed.

In most typical cases, the observable behavior will be the
same. If
the process with the highest priority always runs/pre-empts,
then
processes with close static priorities will wind up getting
proportional CPU anyway as their dynamic priorities cause
them to pre-
empt each other. Processes with vastly differing static
priorities
will wind up giving the vast majority of the CPU to the
higher-
priority process (assuming it can use it) with either model.

I honestly think your requirements are not unusual and you
will have a
hard time getting things to not work if you use the process
priority
model. But the best approach is going to be to test on the
hardware
you plan to use. Schedulers vary from OS to OS more than
just about
anything else.

DS

From: Ian Collins on
On 04/14/10 06:28 AM, Peter Olcott wrote:
> Okay, thanks again for your help. I tried to fix my Outlook
> Express quoting so I would not have to top post, but the fix
> did not work.

So junk it and use a decent client!

--
Ian Collins
From: Peter Olcott on

"Ian Collins" <ian-news(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On 04/14/10 06:28 AM, Peter Olcott wrote:
>> Okay, thanks again for your help. I tried to fix my
>> Outlook
>> Express quoting so I would not have to top post, but the
>> fix
>> did not work.
>
> So junk it and use a decent client!
>
> --
> Ian Collins

I can't afford to do that I have several years worth of
crucial emails archived on it, and they can't be exported.

From: Baho Utot on
Peter Olcott wrote:

> "Ian Collins" <ian-news(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On 04/14/10 06:28 AM, Peter Olcott wrote:
>>> Okay, thanks again for your help. I tried to fix my
>>> Outlook
>>> Express quoting so I would not have to top post, but the
>>> fix
>>> did not work.
>>
>> So junk it and use a decent client!
>>
>> --
>> Ian Collins
>
> I can't afford to do that I have several years worth of
> crucial emails archived on it, and they can't be exported.

What?

Your emails are being held against there will?

That in its self is reason enough to shift platforms to a more open one

From: Peter Olcott on

"Baho Utot" <baho-utot(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
> Peter Olcott wrote:
>

>> "Ian Collins" <ian-news(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> So junk it and use a decent client!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ian Collins
>>
>> I can't afford to do that I have several years worth of
>> crucial emails archived on it, and they can't be
>> exported.
>
> What?
>
> Your emails are being held against there will?
>
> That in its self is reason enough to shift platforms to a
> more open one

Export is broken probably because of data corruption.