From: Peter Olcott on

"Trevor Hemsley" <Trevor.Hemsley(a)mytrousers.ntlworld.com>
wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 13:30:07 UTC in
> comp.os.linux.development.system, "Peter
> Olcott" <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote:
>
>> The hardware will be a single PENTIUM 4 computer with 2.0
>> GB
>> RAM, this design constraint is immutable for the
>> foreseeable
>> future.
>
> Did this thread start on April 1st?
>
> --
> Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
> Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

My ISP provides these for $56 per month including UPS and
lots of bandwidth and 2.0 GB RAM.

From: Peter Olcott on

"Keith Thompson" <kst-u(a)mib.org> wrote in message
> "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> writes:
>> "Ian Collins" <ian-news(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> So junk it and use a decent client!
>>
>> I can't afford to do that I have several years worth of
>> crucial emails archived on it, and they can't be
>> exported.
>
> How does that prevent you from using a decent client for
> posting
> to Usenet? There's no rule that says you have to throw
> away Outlook
> Express when you start using some other piece of software,
> or that
> you have to use the same client for e-mail and Usenet.
>
> Or when you post a followup you can copy the initial
> article
> into a decent text editor, compose it there (adding proper
> "> "
> prefixes and so forth if necessary), and the copy it back
> to OE.
> Yes, it's some extra work, and no, ideally you shouldn't
> have to
> do it, but the alternative is to continue posting as you
> have been
> and imposing that cost on the rest of us.

Exactly what cost is imposed on anyone else here?

I have to do this sort of manual stuff only for a few of
David Schwartz's posts because his posts shut my quoting
off. What other issues could anyone else have? I can't see
any impact from my end.

I also have many years worth of newsgroup posts archived in
outlook express.

From: Ian Collins on
On 04/15/10 08:04 AM, Peter Olcott wrote:
> "Keith Thompson"<kst-u(a)mib.org> wrote in message
>> "Peter Olcott"<NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> writes:
>>> "Ian Collins"<ian-news(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> I can't afford to do that I have several years worth of
>>> crucial emails archived on it, and they can't be
>>> exported.
>>
>> How does that prevent you from using a decent client for
>> posting
>> to Usenet? There's no rule that says you have to throw
>> away Outlook
>> Express when you start using some other piece of software,
>> or that
>> you have to use the same client for e-mail and Usenet.
>>
>> Or when you post a followup you can copy the initial
>> article
>> into a decent text editor, compose it there (adding proper
>> "> "
>> prefixes and so forth if necessary), and the copy it back
>> to OE.
>> Yes, it's some extra work, and no, ideally you shouldn't
>> have to
>> do it, but the alternative is to continue posting as you
>> have been
>> and imposing that cost on the rest of us.
>
> Exactly what cost is imposed on anyone else here?

Read the truncated mess you have just posted! No client worth using
mucks up lines like that.

> I have to do this sort of manual stuff only for a few of
> David Schwartz's posts because his posts shut my quoting
> off. What other issues could anyone else have? I can't see
> any impact from my end.

No they don't, his posts are fine and don't cause trouble for anyone else.

--
Ian Collins
From: Peter Olcott on

> On 04/15/10 08:04 AM, Peter Olcott wrote:
>> "Keith Thompson"<kst-u(a)mib.org> wrote in message

>>> How does that prevent you from using a decent client for
>>> posting
>>> to Usenet? There's no rule that says you have to throw
>>> away Outlook
>>> Express when you start using some other piece of
>>> software,
>>> or that
>>> you have to use the same client for e-mail and Usenet.
>>>
>>> Or when you post a followup you can copy the initial
>>> article
>>> into a decent text editor, compose it there (adding
>>> proper
>>> "> "
>>> prefixes and so forth if necessary), and the copy it
>>> back
>>> to OE.
>>> Yes, it's some extra work, and no, ideally you shouldn't
>>> have to
>>> do it, but the alternative is to continue posting as you
>>> have been
>>> and imposing that cost on the rest of us.
>>
>> Exactly what cost is imposed on anyone else here?
>
> Read the truncated mess you have just posted! No client
> worth using mucks up lines like that.

So how does Thunderbird (or whatever you use) do it?

From: Ian Collins on
On 04/15/10 06:37 AM, Keith Thompson wrote:
> "Peter Olcott"<NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> writes:
>> "Ian Collins"<ian-news(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> So junk it and use a decent client!
>>
>> I can't afford to do that I have several years worth of
>> crucial emails archived on it, and they can't be exported.
>
> How does that prevent you from using a decent client for posting
> to Usenet? There's no rule that says you have to throw away Outlook
> Express when you start using some other piece of software, or that
> you have to use the same client for e-mail and Usenet.
>
> Or when you post a followup you can copy the initial article
> into a decent text editor, compose it there (adding proper "> "
> prefixes and so forth if necessary), and the copy it back to OE.
> Yes, it's some extra work, and no, ideally you shouldn't have to
> do it, but the alternative is to continue posting as you have been
> and imposing that cost on the rest of us.

This is how Keith's message should be quoted.

--
Ian Collins