From: Arie on
Has anyone came across some Detours working samples?

Thanks

Arie

From: Arkady Frenkel on
That worked for me before many years when it was yet in non-commercial
variant only , but I really don't know the current status.
I'm absolutely sure that professional variant ( MSFT take money for ) do
work :)
Arkady

From: Jeremy Boschen on
The latest version, 2.1, is offered in a free and commerical version. The
biggest drawback to the free version is no support for 64bit hooking.

As for samples, the package contains a load of them. You can also google
code search for specific Detours functions to see other uses.
(http://www.google.com/codesearch?q=DetourFunction)

- Jeremy Boschen

From: Arie on
Thanks,
I have just more 2 specific questions-
1. I saw some executable named withdll.exe that should be run concurrently
with my application. Is this a must, or I can have the functionality without
it and integrate the functionality in my application/dll?
2. Can I have global hook - meaning hooking all applications (of caurse,
with certain api)?

Thanks

Arie

From: Le Chaud Lapin on
Arie wrote:
> Thanks,
> I have just more 2 specific questions-
> 1. I saw some executable named withdll.exe that should be run concurrently
> with my application. Is this a must, or I can have the functionality without
> it and integrate the functionality in my application/dll?

That tool is not necessary, depending on how you do the hooking. To
hook all processes, see (http://www.internals.com/articles_main.htm)
for DLL injection techniques. You can also use Windows hooking for DLL
injection, but as always, there are pros and cons to each method.

Note that Microsoft now requires commercial uses of Detours to include
a "dummy" file called Detours.DLL. This DLL is almost completely empty
and is useless, and adds 1 more file to your installation package. My
guess is that this mandate was created to force commercial customers to
make an implicit, non-equivocal statement regarding whether they are
using Detours in their application (the commercial package is quite
expensive). The other reason, I read somewhere, is that this mandate
will allow customer support representatives to know quickly whether the
Detoured applictions might be the culprit for execution irregularities.

> 2. Can I have global hook - meaning hooking all applications (of caurse,
> with certain api)?

Yes, it's possible. See link.

-Le Chaud Lapin-

 |  Next  |  Last