From: Giovanni Dicanio on
"JY" <sd(a)nospamgroup.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

> Are there any special considerations that I need to take
> care of when developing for 64-bit?

This might help as well:

Common Visual C++ 64-bit Migration Issues
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/3b2e7499.aspx

Giovanni

From: Woody on
There's a C++ compiler switch that turns on warnings for 64-bit
incompatibilities. You didn't mention what language(s) you are using.
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
/Wp64 has been deprecated and is no longer supported.
joe

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 01:20:22 -0800 (PST), Woody <ols6000(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>There's a C++ compiler switch that turns on warnings for 64-bit
>incompatibilities. You didn't mention what language(s) you are using.
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Woody on
On Feb 1, 8:49 am, Joseph M. Newcomer <newco...(a)flounder.com> wrote:
> /Wp64 has been deprecated and is no longer supported.

To expand on what Joe said, here is an excerpt from VS2010 beta 2
docs:

The /Wp64 compiler option and __w64 keyword are deprecated in Visual
Studio 2010. If you convert a project that uses this switch, the
switch will not be migrated during conversion. To use this option in
Visual Studio 2010, you must type the compiler switch under Additional
Options in the Command Line section of the project properties. If you
use the /Wp64 compiler option on the command line, the compiler issues
Command-Line Warning D9035. Instead of using this option and keyword
to detect 64-bit portability issues, use a Visual C++ compiler that
targets a 64-bit platform.

Another reason not to switch to VS2010.
From: Jonathan Wood on
Woody wrote:

> Another reason not to switch to VS2010.

It's not clear to me why it's important to have the IDE support a 64-bit
warning flag rather than using a compiler that targets 64-bit development,
but I think any valid problem here is more than outweighed by the many cool
things about VS 2010.

It includes an improved IDE, the return of Class Wizard, a ribbon designer,
new classes, and language enhancements. I'm looking forward to the release.

--
Jonathan Wood
SoftCircuits Programming