From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
The reason the /Wp64 switch was deprecated was that it sort-of-kind-of gave warnings about
a subset of the potential problems, in a kludgy sort of
let's-graft-this-on-and-see-if-it-really-works fashion. Truth: it didn't work well, and
since the REAL problems actually were caught in 64-bit builds, which didn't miss any of
the problems, there was no reason to maintain the compiler option and the kludgy
annotations that had to go with it. So once there was a real 64-bit compiler delivered as
an integral part of the VS distribution, there was no need for the half-assed hack any
longer.

I just delivered a product to a client, and all the 64-bit problems of the original
programmer were caught by the 64-bit compiler. Sprinkle a few _PTR types around in the
parameters and structs and all but a few went away. Those few remaining required a bit
more effort to correct. /Wp64 hadn't even hinted at most of these, because when I got it
it had a "clean" /Wp64 build at /W4. But the code was definitely not 64-bit compatible.
Now it is.

I can't use 2010 because not a single one of my clients has moved beyond 2005. I do my
own work in 2008 this week, but until I get time to install some VMs, I'm not just tossing
2010 into the mix. I've spent too much time in "Visual Studio Version Hell" in the past.
joe
On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 09:42:09 -0700, "Jonathan Wood" <jwood(a)softcircuits.com> wrote:

>Woody wrote:
>
>> Another reason not to switch to VS2010.
>
>It's not clear to me why it's important to have the IDE support a 64-bit
>warning flag rather than using a compiler that targets 64-bit development,
>but I think any valid problem here is more than outweighed by the many cool
>things about VS 2010.
>
>It includes an improved IDE, the return of Class Wizard, a ribbon designer,
>new classes, and language enhancements. I'm looking forward to the release.
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Woody on
On Feb 2, 8:42 am, "Jonathan Wood" <jw...(a)softcircuits.com> wrote:
> Woody wrote:
> It's not clear to me why it's important to have the IDE support a 64-bit
> warning flag rather than using a compiler that targets 64-bit development,
> but I think any valid problem here is more than outweighed by the many cool
> things about VS 2010.

It's slow as molasses, and full of bugs (I have submitted many). The
Help system is awful. The problem about the warning flag vs the 64-bit
compiler is that we have to change the way we do things.
From: Mihai N. on
Actually, already VS2008 complains that /Wp64 is deprecated.

--
Mihai Nita [Microsoft MVP, Visual C++]
http://www.mihai-nita.net

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
And other than the fact that the warning flag only works some of the time, it's OK.

(It doesn't matter if it is right, as long as it is convenient? Another Unix philosophy
comes back to haunt us...)
joe

From: Jonathan Wood on
I thought the help system in VS2008 was flawed so that's not much of an
issue for me. For that matter, VS2008 had a few bugs as well.

Beyond that, the product has not yet been released so it seems a bit harsh
to judge it on performance and bugs. The product is still under development.

--
Jonathan Wood
SoftCircuits Programming