From: tim1948 on
Well, let's give it another try. Suppose I want to explicitly give a
non-root user permission to use the Webcam, in devfs.conf. It seems to
me that it might be
perm. video0. 0666

Or should it be pwc0, to represent the driver? I have one application
that runs only as root, so maybe I'm onto something.
From: Dominic Fandrey on
On 10/04/2010 05:13, tim1948 wrote:
> Well, let's give it another try. Suppose I want to explicitly give a
> non-root user permission to use the Webcam, in devfs.conf. It seems to
> me that it might be
> perm. video0. 0666
>
> Or should it be pwc0, to represent the driver? I have one application
> that runs only as root, so maybe I'm onto something.

It should be whatever the device node shows up as. Also you
shouldn't use devfs.conf, because that's applied only once
during boot.

The recommended way to set device access permissions is the
/etc/devfs.rules file, which also works for devices added
at runtime.

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?