From: Ben Crowell on
I have a fresh install of PC-BSD. The version of perl installed by
default from the DVD was 5.10. There are a whole bunch of packages
that I want to install using pkg_add, but when I try to add them,
I get errors like these:

root(a)pcbsd-6714# pkg_add -r libxul
Fetching
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.0-release/Latest/libxul.tbz...
Done.
Fetching
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.0-release/All/perl-5.8.9_3.tbz...
Done.
pkg_add: package 'perl-5.8.9_3' conflicts with perl-5.10.1
pkg_add: please use pkg_delete first to remove conflicting package(s) or
-f to force installation
pkg_add: pkg_add of dependency 'perl-5.8.9_3' failed!

If I look at the FreshPorts entry for libxul,
http://www.freshports.org/www/libxul/ ,
it lists perl 5.8 under "required to build," but not under "required to
run."

How do I fix this?

Thanks,

-Ben
From: Ben Crowell on
I'm still not having any luck solving this problem, and would be
grateful for any suggestions.

I tried doing pkg_add with the -f (force) option, but that still didn't
work.

To make sure that the problem wasn't something silly that I'd
inadvertently done to my system, I did a fresh install from the
PC-BSD DVD. After the fresh install, I did a reboot, opened an
xterm, and did "pkg_add -r aterm", and it resulted in the same
error about the perl dependency.
From: Indi on
On 2010-04-10, Ben Crowell <crowell10(a)lightSPAMandISmatterEVIL.com> wrote:
> I'm still not having any luck solving this problem, and would be
> grateful for any suggestions.
>
> I tried doing pkg_add with the -f (force) option, but that still didn't
> work.
>
> To make sure that the problem wasn't something silly that I'd
> inadvertently done to my system, I did a fresh install from the
> PC-BSD DVD. After the fresh install, I did a reboot, opened an
> xterm, and did "pkg_add -r aterm", and it resulted in the same
> error about the perl dependency.

Sounds like the pkgs just haven't caught up to ports yet.
Maybe try installing the port instead?

--
Caveat utilitor,
indi

From: Ben Crowell on
Indi wrote:
> Sounds like the pkgs just haven't caught up to ports yet.
> Maybe try installing the port instead?

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually gave that a shot today, but ran
into lots of problems there as well. Having spent about a week's worth
of my spare time trying to get a usable desktop FreeBSD system, I've
decided that switching back to FreeBSD isn't the right option for me
at this point. The situation I'm encountering is pretty much the same
one that made me switch from FreeBSD to Ubuntu in 2006. Getting a full,
working desktop system with all the apps I want is just not something
that I can accomplish with the amount of time I'm willing to spend. I
thought that situation might have improved since 2006, since the
existence of PC-BSD seems to indicate that there is at least some
subset of the FreeBSD community that is interested in making it a
desktop system that's usable by ordinary users. But as far as I can
tell, the situation is actually about the same as before. FBSD on the
desktop might be a viable choice for the same type of power users who
use gentoo, but it's not a viable choice for me. Although there have
been severe quality problems with the last couple of Ubuntu releases,
I am still able to accomplish almost all of what I want to accomplish
using Ubuntu, because the desktop application packages are fairly
carefully maintained. There are problems at the OS level (the
Pulseaudio disaster, too much functionality that should be independent
of the choice of wm, but in fact is broken if you don't use Gnome),
but they're not so severe that I can't live with them.
From: Indi on
On 2010-04-10, Ben Crowell <crowell10(a)lightSPAMandISmatterEVIL.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion. I actually gave that a shot today, but ran
> into lots of problems there as well. Having spent about a week's worth
> of my spare time trying to get a usable desktop FreeBSD system, I've
> decided that switching back to FreeBSD isn't the right option for me
> at this point. The situation I'm encountering is pretty much the same
> one that made me switch from FreeBSD to Ubuntu in 2006. Getting a full,
> working desktop system with all the apps I want is just not something
> that I can accomplish with the amount of time I'm willing to spend. I
> thought that situation might have improved since 2006, since the
> existence of PC-BSD seems to indicate that there is at least some
> subset of the FreeBSD community that is interested in making it a
> desktop system that's usable by ordinary users. But as far as I can
> tell, the situation is actually about the same as before. FBSD on the
> desktop might be a viable choice for the same type of power users who
> use gentoo, but it's not a viable choice for me. Although there have
> been severe quality problems with the last couple of Ubuntu releases,
> I am still able to accomplish almost all of what I want to accomplish
> using Ubuntu, because the desktop application packages are fairly
> carefully maintained. There are problems at the OS level (the
> Pulseaudio disaster, too much functionality that should be independent
> of the choice of wm, but in fact is broken if you don't use Gnome),
> but they're not so severe that I can't live with them.

I'd like to encourage you to try with straight FreeBSD.
Haven't tried PC-BSD, but FreeBSD really is excellent and IME the ports
system works beautifully. I use it on several desktop and laptop machines,
as well as several servers. It's much more solid than Ubuntu IMHO.

--
Caveat utilitor,
indi

 |  Next  |  Last