From: Ant on
# apt-get install sysv-rc sysvinit sysvinit-utils

error: Unable to migrate to dependency based boot sequencing.
error: Problems detected: package wifi-radar left obsolete init.d script
behind, package and removed but not purged, package at removed but not
purged, package cups removed but not purged, package festival removed
but not purged, package libdevmapper1.02 removed but not purged, package
nfs-common removed but not purged, package openbsd-inetd removed but not
purged, package pcscd removed but not purged, package portmap removed
but not purged, package virtualbox-2.0 removed but not purged, package
wifi-radar removed but not purged, package zope2.10 removed but not
purged, package zope2.9 removed but not purged, package zope3 removed
but not purged, insserv: warning: script 'K20ntop' missing LSB tags and
overrides, insserv: warning: script 'S25libdevmapper1.02' missing LSB
tags and overrides, insserv: warning: script 'ntop' missing LSB tags
and overrides, insserv: script zope2.10: service zope2.9 already
provided!, insserv: warning: script 'libdevmapper1.02' missing LSB tags
and overrides,

See http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts/DependencyBasedBoot for
more information about dependency based boot sequencing. To
reattempt the migration process run 'dpkg-reconfigure sysv-rc'.
localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/locale: 0 KiB
localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/man: 0 KiB
localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/gnome/help: 0 KiB
localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/omf: 0 KiB
localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML: 0 KiB

Total disk space freed by localepurge: 0 KiB

Do I need to worry about these errors? I looked at the Wiki link, and
still don't know what they mean. :(

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"Whoops, there goes another ambulance ant." --Seymour and Pepe (Rick
Moranis episode from The Muppets)
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi(a)earthlink.netANT
( ) or ANTant(a)zimage.com
From: Darren Salt on
I demand that Ant may or may not have written...

> # apt-get install sysv-rc sysvinit sysvinit-utils

> error: Unable to migrate to dependency based boot sequencing.
> error: Problems detected: package wifi-radar left obsolete init.d script
> behind

Purge such packages if you don't need to keep their configuration files (and
you *probably* don't).

[snip]
> insserv: warning: script 'ntop' missing LSB tags and overrides

/etc/init.d/ntop doesn't contain information about the runlevels in which it
is (by default) to be started and stopped, which scripts need to have been
run before (or after, when stopping – I think) this one, and an identifier
(for other scripts which may depend on this one). insserv requires this from
*all* scripts in /etc/init.d else it is unable to optimise the order in which
the init scripts are run and determine which may (not) be run in parallel.

You should find that upgrading the packages which contain the files about
which insserv has complained fixes things.

[snip]
> Do I need to worry about these errors? I looked at the Wiki link, and
> still don't know what they mean. :(

Not really, though fixing the problems reported may result in faster booting.

--
| Darren Salt | linux at youmustbejoking | nr. Ashington, | Doon
| using Debian GNU/Linux | or ds ,demon,co,uk | Northumberland | Army
| + http://www.youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk/ & http://tlasd.wordpress.com/

The most spectacular crashes are reserved for the silliest mistakes.
From: Ant on
> > # apt-get install sysv-rc sysvinit sysvinit-utils

> > error: Unable to migrate to dependency based boot sequencing.
> > error: Problems detected: package wifi-radar left obsolete init.d script
> > behind

> Purge such packages if you don't need to keep their configuration files (and
> you *probably* don't).

I do. I use deborphan, debfoster, etc. daily when I do apt-get update
and upgrade daily. :) I also have tight free disk space so I have to
watch them.

> [snip]
> > insserv: warning: script 'ntop' missing LSB tags and overrides

> /etc/init.d/ntop doesn't contain information about the runlevels in which it
> is (by default) to be started and stopped, which scripts need to have been
> run before (or after, when stopping ??? I think) this one, and an identifier
> (for other scripts which may depend on this one). insserv requires this from
> *all* scripts in /etc/init.d else it is unable to optimise the order in which
> the init scripts are run and determine which may (not) be run in parallel.

> You should find that upgrading the packages which contain the files about
> which insserv has complained fixes things.

> [snip]
> > Do I need to worry about these errors? I looked at the Wiki link, and
> > still don't know what they mean. :(

> Not really, though fixing the problems reported may result in faster booting.

I rarely shutdown and reboot. My last uptime was over 120 days and my
current one is over 48 days. :) When I do boot up, it takes about a
minute or two until I get my text login screen (not GUI).
--
"Busy as ants hurrying orcs were digging, digging lines of deep trenches
in a huge ring, just out of bowshot from the walls;" --The Return of the
\ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail.
( )