From: Alan Mackenzie on
That's KVM "Keyboard/Video/Mouse" as in the electronic box you used to
get, with which you could connect up one set of {K V M} to several PCs.

More recently, there's software been developed, by which you can control
a remote computer similarly, with the necessary signals going over
Ethernet. trouble is, all the one's I've seen are restricted to
X-Windows. I want something that works on a remote virtual terminal.

Does anybody know any free software which does this?

Thanks in advance!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

From: Lew Pitcher on
On November 12, 2009 18:12, in comp.os.linux.setup, Alan Mackenzie
(acm(a)muc.de) wrote:

> That's KVM "Keyboard/Video/Mouse" as in the electronic box you used to
> get, with which you could connect up one set of {K V M} to several PCs.
>
> More recently, there's software been developed, by which you can control
> a remote computer similarly, with the necessary signals going over
> Ethernet. trouble is, all the one's I've seen are restricted to
> X-Windows. I want something that works on a remote virtual terminal.
>
> Does anybody know any free software which does this?

I'm not sure I understand your requirements.

Are you looking for an ethernet data-stream equivalent of a KVM switch? That
is to say, a tool that will encode raw video signals from a video card, raw
keypress signals from a keyboard and raw mouse movement signals from a
mouse serial port into ethernet frames, and decode the same on the other
side? If so, I doubt that such a thing exists, at least as a software tool.

Or, are you looking for a graphic-enabled (i.e. framebuffer, but not X)
remote display? If so, then VNC might be what you are looking for. I'm not
talking about the VNC "X Server", but a raw VNC handler.

Finally, if you just want character data back and forth, why not use ssh or
telnet?

--
Lew Pitcher

From: John Hasler on
Alan Mackenzie writes:
> More recently, there's software been developed, by which you can
> control a remote computer similarly, with the necessary signals going
> over Ethernet. trouble is, all the one's I've seen are restricted to
> X-Windows.

"More recently"? The X Window System has always worked seamlessly over
the network (i.e., since before KVM switches were invented).

> I want something that works on a remote virtual terminal.

ssh works for me (perhaps with screen).

> Does anybody know any free software which does this?

What are you trying to accomplish?
--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com
From: Alan Mackenzie on
Lew Pitcher <lpitcher(a)teksavvy.com> wrote:
> On November 12, 2009 18:12, in comp.os.linux.setup, Alan Mackenzie
> (acm(a)muc.de) wrote:

>> That's KVM "Keyboard/Video/Mouse" as in the electronic box you used to
>> get, with which you could connect up one set of {K V M} to several
>> PCs.

>> More recently, there's software been developed, by which you can
>> control a remote computer similarly, with the necessary signals going
>> over Ethernet. trouble is, all the one's I've seen are restricted to
>> X-Windows. I want something that works on a remote virtual terminal.

>> Does anybody know any free software which does this?

> I'm not sure I understand your requirements.

I'm installing Gentoo on a laptop, and getting a sore back from all the
leaning over sideways to read the documentation. I could do it much more
easily if I could just use my desktop keyboard and monitor.

> Are you looking for an ethernet data-stream equivalent of a KVM switch?
> That is to say, a tool that will encode raw video signals from a video
> card, raw keypress signals from a keyboard and raw mouse movement
> signals from a mouse serial port into ethernet frames, and decode the
> same on the other side? If so, I doubt that such a thing exists, at
> least as a software tool.

I don't think I need that. I need character data going over the line,
preferably including the colours.

> Or, are you looking for a graphic-enabled (i.e. framebuffer, but not X)
> remote display? If so, then VNC might be what you are looking for. I'm
> not talking about the VNC "X Server", but a raw VNC handler.

OK, I'll look at that.

> Finally, if you just want character data back and forth, why not use
> ssh or telnet?

A good question! I've already used ssh from the prototyp Gentoo system.
Can ssh transmit colour information, like what you get when you do "ls
--color"?

In fact, that's such a good idea, I'm going to go and try it out right
now. Thanks!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

From: Lew Pitcher on
On November 12, 2009 18:41, in comp.os.linux.setup, Alan Mackenzie
(acm(a)muc.de) wrote:

> Lew Pitcher <lpitcher(a)teksavvy.com> wrote:
>> On November 12, 2009 18:12, in comp.os.linux.setup, Alan Mackenzie
>> (acm(a)muc.de) wrote:
>
>>> That's KVM "Keyboard/Video/Mouse" as in the electronic box you used to
>>> get, with which you could connect up one set of {K V M} to several
>>> PCs.
>
>>> More recently, there's software been developed, by which you can
>>> control a remote computer similarly, with the necessary signals going
>>> over Ethernet. trouble is, all the one's I've seen are restricted to
>>> X-Windows. I want something that works on a remote virtual terminal.
>
>>> Does anybody know any free software which does this?
[snip]
>> Finally, if you just want character data back and forth, why not use
>> ssh or telnet?
>
> A good question! I've already used ssh from the prototyp Gentoo system.
> Can ssh transmit colour information, like what you get when you do "ls
> --color"?

Yes, it can. You need to ensure that both ends use the appropriate terminal
definition though. With $TERM set to "xterm" on the target end (where the
programs will run), and running in an xterm window on the source end (where
I'm sitting), my ssh session to my server responds with colour
for "ls --color" commands

--
Lew Pitcher