From: Alan Mackenzie on
Lew Pitcher <lpitcher(a)teksavvy.com> wrote:
> On November 12, 2009 18:41, in comp.os.linux.setup, Alan Mackenzie
> (acm(a)muc.de) wrote:

>> Lew Pitcher <lpitcher(a)teksavvy.com> wrote:

> [snip]
>>> Finally, if you just want character data back and forth, why not use
>>> ssh or telnet?

>> A good question! I've already used ssh from the prototyp Gentoo
>> system. Can ssh transmit colour information, like what you get when
>> you do "ls --color"?

> Yes, it can. You need to ensure that both ends use the appropriate
> terminal definition though. With $TERM set to "xterm" on the target end
> (where the programs will run), and running in an xterm window on the
> source end (where I'm sitting), my ssh session to my server responds
> with colour for "ls --color" commands

>> In fact, that's such a good idea, I'm going to go and try it out right
>> now. Thanks!

I can access my ancient desktop machine using ssh from the prototype
Gentoo box. I can even run full facility Emacs from it. I can't, as
yet, access the laptop from my desktop box. No doubt, some simple
modification (such as creating a non-root user on the laptop) will make
it work. Or do I need to install an ssh-daemon on the laptop?

Anyhow, the ssh idea was so brilliant, I'm wondering why I didn't think
of it myself. ;-)

Thanks!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

From: John Hasler on
Alan Mackenzie writes:
> Or do I need to install an ssh-daemon on the laptop?

Yes, of course.
--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com
From: John Reiser on
On 11/12/2009 03:30 PM, John Hasler wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie writes:
>> More recently, there's software been developed, by which you can
>> control a remote computer similarly, with the necessary signals going
>> over Ethernet. trouble is, all the one's I've seen are restricted to
>> X-Windows.
>
> "More recently"? The X Window System has always worked seamlessly over
> the network (i.e., since before KVM switches were invented).

In the last several years many software distributions have chosen
to invoke the X11 server with the "-nolisten" argument, which disables
some of the visible network functionality. This is an extra layer of
"security." I have been inconvenienced by this practice a couple times,
such as when I want to be remote from both the server and the display.
[Three machines: mine, the server, the display:
ssh a.b.c.d "DISPLAY=e.f.g.h:3 /path/to/client"
where screen 3 at ip4 e.f.g.h has the client display and pointer
(mouse), the program is running on ip4 a.b.c.d, and I have stdin+
stdout+stderr but no login account on the machine with the display.
This is quite some fun, particularly when client is a debugger
such as gdb!]

>> I want something that works on a remote virtual terminal.
>
> ssh works for me (perhaps with screen).

Or "ssh -Y" if forwarding an X11 connection.