From: Fred on
I'm trying to see the difference from an external point of view, and I
can't see one, apart from having a 1.8V supply rather than a 2.5V.

I can see increased clock speed and increased clock latency, but
that's about it

I am aware the internal clock runs at half main clock, and that the
burst order in interleaved data is different, but on the surface I
should be able to use a DDR controller to access DDR2. Where am I
going wrong?

From: maxascent on
I have used DDR2 but not DDR but I am fairly sure that the init seq is
different. I wouldnt be surprised if there are different timings and burst
types too. Because of the faster timings on DDR2 some form of read
calibration would be needed. So you could probably modify a DDR controller
but using it straight out of the box is not possible.

Jon

---------------------------------------
Posted through http://www.FPGARelated.com
From: Fred on
On 5 July, 11:45, "maxascent"
<maxascent(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.n_o_s_p_a_m.yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I have used DDR2 but not DDR but I am fairly sure that the init seq is
> different. I wouldnt be surprised if there are different timings and burst
> types too. Because of the faster timings on DDR2 some form of read
> calibration would be needed. So you could probably modify a DDR controller
> but using it straight out of the box is not possible.
>
> Jon
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Posted throughhttp://www.FPGARelated.com

I have control over the initialisation sequence so that should not be
an issue. I also have control over the clock and strobe timings as
well.

You haven't outlined any show-stoppers that I might have expected.

Many thanks for your view.
From: Gabor on
On Jul 5, 8:21 am, Fred <fred__blo...(a)lycos.com> wrote:
> On 5 July, 11:45, "maxascent"
>
> <maxascent(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.n_o_s_p_a_m.yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > I have used DDR2 but not DDR but I am fairly sure that the init seq is
> > different. I wouldnt be surprised if there are different timings and burst
> > types too. Because of the faster timings on DDR2 some form of read
> > calibration would be needed. So you could probably modify a DDR controller
> > but using it straight out of the box is not possible.
>
> > Jon
>
> > ---------------------------------------
> > Posted throughhttp://www.FPGARelated.com
>
> I have control over the initialisation sequence so that should not be
> an issue. I also have control over the clock and strobe timings as
> well.
>
> You haven't outlined any show-stoppers that I might have expected.
>
> Many thanks for your view.

I think you may be able to configure the DQS as single-ended, but
normally
DDR2 uses differential DQS signals. Also on-die termination was added
in
DDR2, this requires an extra signal if you use it. The start-up
sequences are
different and the DDR2 has more mode registers.

Regards,
Gabor
From: Fred on
On 5 July, 20:53, Gabor <ga...(a)alacron.com> wrote:
> On Jul 5, 8:21 am, Fred <fred__blo...(a)lycos.com> wrote:
>

> > On 5 July, 11:45, "maxascent"
>
> > <maxascent(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.n_o_s_p_a_m.yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > > I have used DDR2 but not DDR but I am fairly sure that the init seq is
> > > different. I wouldnt be surprised if there are different timings and burst
> > > types too. Because of the faster timings on DDR2 some form of read
> > > calibration would be needed. So you could probably modify a DDR controller
> > > but using it straight out of the box is not possible.
>
> > > Jon
>
> > > ---------------------------------------
> > > Posted throughhttp://www.FPGARelated.com
>
> > I have control over the initialisation sequence so that should not be
> > an issue. I also have control over the clock and strobe timings as
> > well.
>
> > You haven't outlined any show-stoppers that I might have expected.
>
> > Many thanks for your view.
>
> I think you may be able to configure the DQS as single-ended, but
> normally
> DDR2 uses differential DQS signals.  Also on-die termination was added
> in
> DDR2, this requires an extra signal if you use it.  The start-up
> sequences are
> different and the DDR2 has more mode registers.
>
> Regards,
> Gabor- Hide quoted text -

A Micron datasheet suggests that the DQS# need not be used where the
option has been chosen in the Mode Register, implying that single
ended strobe operation would be fine.

I have control over the start-up sequence so this should not be an
issue.

Given I only anticipate using a single rank of memory, I had hoped
that I could assert ODT once the extended mode register had been
written. I don't anticipate using self-refresh which also requires
ODT to be pulled during refresh.

Many thanks.