From: John Bell on
On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 10:36:06 -0800 (PST), JimLad
<jamesdbirch(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>SQL Server 2005/2008. Is the following correct (apologies for trivial
>example)?
>
>SELECT -member_id AS member_id
>FROM members m
>ORDER BY member_id
>--Orders by column alias
>
>SELECT -member_id AS member_id
>FROM members m
>ORDER BY m.member_id
>--Orders by column value
>
>In SQL Server 2000, both the above seem to order by column alias. Is
>this correct? Am I right in thinking that when I upgrade I must go
>through my code and remove all the table aliases, otherwise I
>potentially get a different sort order?
>
>Cheers,
>
>James

Hi James

In general the upgrade advisor does a lot of this for you, and I would
see what it says as the first pass, as there could be other things you
need to change.

In this instance it looks like SQL 2005 has tightened up the syntax
and will give you what you actually specified, so if you need
something different you should change the queries.

John