From: Marts on
me here wrote...

> OfficeWorks have the Seagate 1 TB external drive at $129 and looking at
> them I noticed that they had two lots of stock on the shelves in two
> different boxes - which was probably old and current stock.

I have one from the "old box". A mate has the new one. They are identical in
appearance. Both work on XP (neither of us has Win7) and Vista.

Unfortunately I bought mine a week before Orificeworks dropped its price from
$149 to $129.

Not a bad unit, either. When the PC or laptop that it's connected to is turned
off it too turns off. Handy given that it has no on/off switch and the cables
are stuck behind the computer at the moment.

I just wonder how reliable these units are. A lot of irreplaceable data is
currently on it (and backed up to DVDs). I was considering a mutli drive NAS and
configuring it for RAID and to use the Seagate as a temporary backup unit, or to
connect it to our new WDTV Live media player.

From: Marts on
z1 wrote...

> I have a Seagate 1TB Ext USB [own PS] and it works fine.
> If I recall the firmware issue was a problem earlier down the line -
> been resolved in the model I have.

What were the problems with the firmware?

From: Rod Speed on
Marts wrote:
> z1 wrote...
>
>> I have a Seagate 1TB Ext USB [own PS] and it works fine.
>> If I recall the firmware issue was a problem earlier down the line -
>> been resolved in the model I have.
>
> What were the problems with the firmware?

The drive just become invisible and only Seagate can fix that.

From: XR8 Sprintless on
On 18/01/2010 7:40 AM, Rod Speed wrote:
> Marts wrote:
>> z1 wrote...
>>
>>> I have a Seagate 1TB Ext USB [own PS] and it works fine.
>>> If I recall the firmware issue was a problem earlier down the line -
>>> been resolved in the model I have.
>>
>> What were the problems with the firmware?
>
> The drive just become invisible and only Seagate can fix that.

Not exactly true Rod, but you need to be handy with some tools and have
access to an old nokia USB to TTL lead.

http://www.msfn.org/board/solution-seagate-7200-11-hdds-t128807.html
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2