From: me here on

OfficeWorks have the Seagate 1 TB external drive at $129 and looking at
them I noticed that they had two lots of stock on the shelves in two
different boxes - which was probably old and current stock.

The new stock supports up to and including Windows 7, however the
earlier box does not list this O/S.

Maybe printed before Win 7 was released?

As it's just a USB connection for a hard drive I can't see how the OS
would make a difference anyway. Any thoughts on this ?

I finished up buying the later model and it seems like a well made
product - quiet, low heat, and seemless operation so far - time will
tell.

They also had the WD 320 external for $79 which is a bargain, but I
prefer an AC powered unit, and 1 TB was better value on a MB basis.

Rob

From: Rod Speed on
me here wrote:

> OfficeWorks have the Seagate 1 TB external drive at $129 and looking
> at them I noticed that they had two lots of stock on the shelves in
> two different boxes - which was probably old and current stock.

> The new stock supports up to and including Windows 7,
> however the earlier box does not list this O/S.

> Maybe printed before Win 7 was released?

Yep, bet that is it.

> As it's just a USB connection for a hard drive I can't see how
> the OS would make a difference anyway. Any thoughts on this ?

Bet thats all it is, both will work fine with W7.

> I finished up buying the later model and it seems like a well made
> product - quiet, low heat, and seemless operation so far - time will tell.

Seagate is in fact going thru a rough patch drive firmware wise currently.

And they are one of the few manufacturers that do manufacture in
china, with some rather undesirable consequences of doing that.

They also took over Maxtor so one of the drives may be a rebadged Maxtor.

I'm personally sticking with Samsungs and havent had a problem with any of them.

I buy the bare drives and use them in a drive docking station.

> They also had the WD 320 external for $79 which is a bargain, but I
> prefer an AC powered unit, and 1 TB was better value on a MB basis.

Yeah, the main advantage with the smaller ones is better portability and no heat problems.

From: z1 on
Rod Speed wrote:
> me here wrote:
>
>> OfficeWorks have the Seagate 1 TB external drive at $129 and looking
>> at them I noticed that they had two lots of stock on the shelves in
>> two different boxes - which was probably old and current stock.
>
>> The new stock supports up to and including Windows 7,
>> however the earlier box does not list this O/S.
>
>> Maybe printed before Win 7 was released?
>
> Yep, bet that is it.
>
>> As it's just a USB connection for a hard drive I can't see how
>> the OS would make a difference anyway. Any thoughts on this ?
>
> Bet thats all it is, both will work fine with W7.
>
>> I finished up buying the later model and it seems like a well made
>> product - quiet, low heat, and seemless operation so far - time will tell.
>
> Seagate is in fact going thru a rough patch drive firmware wise currently.
>
> And they are one of the few manufacturers that do manufacture in
> china, with some rather undesirable consequences of doing that.
>
> They also took over Maxtor so one of the drives may be a rebadged Maxtor.
>
> I'm personally sticking with Samsungs and havent had a problem with any of them.
>
> I buy the bare drives and use them in a drive docking station.
>
>> They also had the WD 320 external for $79 which is a bargain, but I
>> prefer an AC powered unit, and 1 TB was better value on a MB basis.
>
> Yeah, the main advantage with the smaller ones is better portability and no heat problems.

I have a Seagate 1TB Ext USB [own PS] and it works fine.
If I recall the firmware issue was a problem earlier down the line -
been resolved in the model I have.
From: me here on
z1 wrote:

> Rod Speed wrote:
> > me here wrote:
> >
> >> OfficeWorks have the Seagate 1 TB external drive at $129 and
> looking >> at them I noticed that they had two lots of stock on the
> shelves in >> two different boxes - which was probably old and
> current stock.
> >
> >> The new stock supports up to and including Windows 7,
> >> however the earlier box does not list this O/S.
> >
> >> Maybe printed before Win 7 was released?
> >
> > Yep, bet that is it.
> >
> >> As it's just a USB connection for a hard drive I can't see how
> >> the OS would make a difference anyway. Any thoughts on this ?
> >
> > Bet thats all it is, both will work fine with W7.
> >
> >> I finished up buying the later model and it seems like a well made
> >> product - quiet, low heat, and seemless operation so far - time
> will tell.
> >
> > Seagate is in fact going thru a rough patch drive firmware wise
> > currently.
> >
> > And they are one of the few manufacturers that do manufacture in
> > china, with some rather undesirable consequences of doing that.
> >
> > They also took over Maxtor so one of the drives may be a rebadged
> > Maxtor.
> >
> > I'm personally sticking with Samsungs and havent had a problem with
> > any of them.
> >
> > I buy the bare drives and use them in a drive docking station.
> >
> >> They also had the WD 320 external for $79 which is a bargain, but I
> >> prefer an AC powered unit, and 1 TB was better value on a MB basis.
> >
> > Yeah, the main advantage with the smaller ones is better
> > portability and no heat problems.
> >

> I have a Seagate 1TB Ext USB [own PS] and it works fine.
> If I recall the firmware issue was a problem earlier down the line -
> been resolved in the model I have.

This one is the same - with changable AC prongs on the power pack for
different countries, which I haddn't seen before - clever.

I see that the firmware reports the HD as a Seagate and drive capacity
is actually 1120 MB - 1064 MB usable space after formatting. It came
as NTFS.

I did a bit of research before buying this particular unit and some
similar brands are not true 1 TB drives after formatting.

It also appears the LaCie equivalent has had plenty of failures.

I see that the drive profile gives options for quick removal or
performance (enable caching). I suppose that's pretty standard ?

One comment I read was someone complaining that they couldn't stream
video from it, which sounds hard to believe. I will put an ISO on it
at the first opportunity and see how it mounts/streams.

Rob

From: z1 on
me here wrote:

> I did a bit of research before buying this particular unit and some
> similar brands are not true 1 TB drives after formatting.

I wouldn't get too hung up about that - when we say it's 1TB it's like
'metric size' and is 1024 MB

The other thing is that when you format like with NTFS, you have less
storage like say 60MB because the format takes up space as well.

I have played .avi's out of mine and seems ok for that as well.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Slow file transfer W7
Next: Safest ed2k application